RAW-FOOD  April 1997

RAW-FOOD April 1997

Re: I'm sincere

Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:37:34 -0700

 (Christopher wade):
>        But was this due to eating too much fruit? because we did lose
>weight - which makes so I might have gotten more oil had we eaten more of
>the other foods rather than dried & fresh fruit.  Have I hit the ideal diet
>on the nose? I'm asking you if this is the track to a healthy raw food
>diet?  Or is there more to the diet and in different proportions for the
>diet other than what I suggested is ideal for someone, that is eating more
>sprouts, greens, nuts and seeds, and less fruit?

Tom:
Most people lose weight when they switch to raw foods, regardless of what type
of diet they had previously. Eating a lot of fruit will promote weight loss,
as fruit is a relatively cleansing/eliminative food.  Also, 10 days is  a short
trial period; you might want to go longer (unless you experience severe
weight loss, in which case you should back off - eat more cooked foods, more
heavy raw foods like nuts/avos until the weight loss discontinues). Most writers
suggest 21 days as a minumum to see results after a diet change.

There is no single diet that is ideal for all. Instead, you should experiment
to see what is best for you personally, without being too influenced by dogma.
You might find that 100% raw works for you, or maybe 75% raw/25% cooked is
better. You might thrive on a vegan diet, or find that raw dairy helps you (raw
goat's milk can help you put on/keep weight).

[log in to unmask] (Christopher wade):
>        By the way, does anyone know if vegetarian food enzyme supplements
>(with cooked meals) are good for you?  I don't know if my enzymes (Rainbow
>light) is the Aspergillus stuff (what is aspergillus? and how do they make
>the enzymes?) or not.

Tom:
The subject of enzymes was recently discussed on this list - you might want to
check the archive site for that discussion. The use of enzyme supplements is
controversial; some use them and say they help, others say they are a waste of
money as the enzymes are destroyed in the stomach. How are enzymes made? Some
are produced by bacteria (genetically engineered bacteria, in some cases),
while another source of enzymes is to extract them from pig/cow pancreas. Prior
to the development of human insulin (produced by bacteria), pig/cow pancreas
was (and still is) processed to extract insulin for diabetics. The enzymes were
also extracted from the same source.

[log in to unmask] (Christopher wade):
>And I'm glad about joining this list - thank you.

Tom:
Welcome to the list, and good luck with your raw experiments!

Regards,
Tom Billings