BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS  June 2011

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS June 2011

Re: New tread/old threads

Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:15:54 -0400

Ralph-
When I was still in NJ, we replaced the shake roof on the c. 1740
building that I worked in. I consulted with a bunch of very
knowledgable roofers at the time. Our roof was 20 years old, and
failing. A number of the roofers said that you could expect a shake
roof to last for 50 years with decent maintenance-- ours failed so
quickly because they had only installed about 1/2 the number of shingle
per square foot than should have been installed. A cautionary tale
indeed.

In any case... the roofing brain trust that I consulted gave pretty
much the same advice that Ken did for moss growth: Use a solution of
what was essentially Round-up or bleach to kill the growth, and wash
with water. May need to repeat for maintenanceif the moss is heavy, but
probably worth it since the roof could potentially have another 25
years of life-span.

my .02

-Heidi

-----Original Message-----
From: RLWALTR <[log in to unmask]>
To: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, Jun 9, 2011 4:22 pm
Subject: [BP] New tread/old threads

I have a marginally legitimate question again.

 Our local historical society's HQ is in a 1740s farm house with a sawn
cedar shake roof, which as I remember is about 23 years old (I used to
be on the board, but haven't been in decades).  I am told by a friend
now on the board that they are thinking about power washing the roof to
get rid of whatever growies are growing in it, which makes me uneasy.

 What is the current state of the art Histo Presto thinking on
maintenance of such a roof, and am I correct in worrying that pressure
washing will drive moisture further into the shakes?  Are there
chemicals they should use or avoid in power washing?

Thanks,
Ralph (9 days prostate-free)

--

http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html