INTERLNG Archives

Discussiones in Interlingua

INTERLNG@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Mulaik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INTERLNG: Discussiones in Interlingua
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:51:37 EST
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:55:04 -0500 (EST)
From: STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Discussion of Gode with Esperantists

>From: [log in to unmask] (STAN MULAIK)
>Newsgroups:
 alt.uu.lang.misc,sci.lang,alt.language.artificial,soc.culture.europe

[log in to unmask] (Don HARLOW) writes:

>On 6 Jan 1997 23:04:07 -0500, [log in to unmask] (STAN MULAIK)
>wrote:

[deletions]]

>PEI, Mario, _One Language for the World_. New York: Devon-Adair, 1958,
>p. 171:

>  [Dr. Alexander Gode's] international language, he claims, is meant
>  primarily for use in written form at scientific congresses (indeed,
>  it has already been so used, and with seeming success);...

[deletion]

>"Written form" is obviously not applicable to point (3), and I do not
>remember hearing of a case in which a paper was orally presented in
>Interlingua, so what we are left with is the impression that Gode
>intended Interlingua _primarily_ for passive reading use, specifically
>on the part of an educated elite population (those who attend
>scientific conferences).

O.K., now I see where you are getting these ideas about Gode. Perhaps
you accept them possibly without questioning them because it would be
convenient to see interlingua (from the point of view of an advocate of
esperanto) to be no real threat because, "unlike esperanto, it was
not intended to be spoken actively".

But it should be obvious to you that your view of Dr. Gode is second
hand and filtered through the eyes of Mario Pei, further elaborated on
by your own presumptions.  But Pei's statement may be missleading because
it suggests that the intention Gode had for developing Interlingua was
to use it in written form at scientific congresses, whereas all he
may be describing is Gode's personal intention, as a career choice,
to use interlingua for written communications in science, because he
felt there was a need that interlingua was eminently qualified to serve
in that regard. After all, once the dictionary was developed, he was
hired on at Science Service to write "Summarios in Interlingua", and he
began translating thousands and thousands of words in summaries of
scientific and medical papers, not just through Science Service, but
for various medical journals on a fee basis.

I would submit to you that the reason Dr. Gode developed interlingua was
"because it was there". Not in his head. But in the languages of
Europe.

In a paper Dr. Gode presented to the M.L.A. in 1954 in New York,