CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS Archives

October 2004

CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Compton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cloaks-and-Daggers Open Discussion of Intelligence (Academic)
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:14:49 +1300
The Official Report by the Central Intelligence Agency on Iraq's
Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Comprehensive Report of the Special Advisor to the DCI on Iraq’s WMD

Publicly released today
10/07/2004 05:46:08 US time

I suppose you could say that my point is with all the money spent on
Intelligence in the US and UK, how did they the Intelligence agencies
get it so wrong ?

I think some questions could be asked are was the intelligence
politicised ?

What happened to the Policy makers input and the policy side of this
intelligence case for the decision to go into iraq ?

Surely, some serious questions need to be asked

October 6 - Posted Comprehensive Report of the Special Advisor to the
DCI on  Iraq’s WMD, 30 September 2004.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/index.html

Comprehensive Report of the Special Advisor to the DCI on Iraq’s WMD

This report relays the findings of the Special Advisor to the
Director of Central Intelligence on Iraq's Weapons of Mass
Destruction.

We are aware that the files comprising this 1,000-page report are
extremely large and, in practice, available only to visitors who have
a broadband connection to our site. Thus, we extracted the key
findings from each of the major sections of the report and provide
them as a separate, much smaller file. All of the files linked below
are in PDF format and require Adobe's free Acrobat® Reader™ to view.
We plan to post an HTML version of the complete report soon and
appreciate visitors' patience in the interim.

Key Findings (194 KB)
http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/
Comp_Report_Key_Findings.pdf

Volume 1 (53,807 KB)
http://www2.cia.gov/Iraqs_WMD_Vol1.pdf

Charles Duelfer's Transmittal Message
Acknowledgements
Scope Note
Regime Strategic Intent
Regime Finance and Procurement

Volume 2 (76,070 KB)
http://www2.cia.gov/Iraqs_WMD_Vol1.pdf

Delivery Systems
Nuclear

Volume 3 (69,895 KB)
http://www2.cia.gov/Iraqs_WMD_Vol3.pdf

Iraq's Chemical Warfare Program
Biological Warfare
Glossary and Acronyms

Updated: 10/07/2004 05:46:08.

Some Press reports

A Sampling of these reports

U.S. Inspector Says Iraq Had No Banned Weapons
Wed Oct 6, 2004 07:49 PM ET
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6433959

Iraq 'did not have' WMD, says US inspector
By Thomas Catan and Mark Huband in Washington, and Stephen Fidler in
London
Published: October 6 2004 17:50 | Last updated: October 7 2004 00:49
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/70fc2992-17b7-11d9-9ac5-00000e2511c8.html

U.S. Report Finds Iraqis Eliminated Illicit Arms in 90's
By DOUGLAS JEHL

Published: October 7, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/07/politics/07intel.html

This shows why the war was unnecessary, says Cook

Straw adamant that Saddam had to go

David Pallister
Thursday October 7, 2004
The Guardian
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12956,1321507,00.html

The final judgement
* Iraqi Survey Group: There were no WMD

* Saddam less of a threat in 2003 than in 1998

* Bush and Blair's case for war is demolished

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=569588

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=569578

How 1,200 inspectors failed to find WMD
By Helen Kinsella

No weapons, no programmes: nothing to justify the invasion
By Rupert Cornwell in Washington, Ben Russell in Khartoum and Anne
Penketh
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=569584

'Saddam destroyed his weapons with the aim of getting rid of UN
sanctions'
By Anne Penketh Diplomatic Editor
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=569582

We saw no WMD - No 10 labelled us 'naive dupes'
By Kim Sengupta in Baghdad
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=569560

Mixed messages from WMD report

By Adam Brookes
BBC, Washington

The Iraq Survey Group has finally laid to rest the central casus
belli of the Iraq war.

BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
What the findings of the survey group mean
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3722144.stm#

Iraq had no WMD, inspectors conclude

Julian Borger in Washington
Thursday October 7, 2004