From:
"James E. Griffin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:07:12 -0800
Silly me, thinking I responded back to the entire list, I actually only
responded to the original sender. THEN, not seeing post on list, I
e-mail Jose Dominquez asking what's up. At least I caught my goof
myself. Apologies all round. The following was sent to thordog:

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> << Assuming the box's fan is working - >>
> Jim, I just discovered that the fan on the power supply stopped running. Could
> this have affected the battery/time?

Yes, but I'd normally have expected to show other components showing
signs of distress. Excessive heat effects CPU's, etc.; one of many signs
is a system slowing way down, mouse erratic, complex spread
sheets/databases not behaving normally and the system eventually
crashing. By THAT time, the CPU's generally fried. GOOD THING YOU FOUND
IT NOW, BEFORE LOSING DATA.

Sometimes it's hard to realize that you no longer hear the fan,
especially if the box is in a more remote location. There are a number
of aftermarket devices that monitor internal box temp, some even let you
know -- like an alarm -- when the internals are too hot.

In summary, the power supply fan did nothing to HELP PROLONG battery
life. Heat is a battery's worst enemy short of physical damage. If a
battery is at all weak, excess heat brings out problems fast. But, the
battery may have been at the end of it's life anyway.

Best regards,
Jim Griffin
--
Prometheus was the first Beta Tester.
Sisyphus was the Corinthian Systems Administrator.

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]