CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS Archives

March 2003

CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loring Wirbel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cloaks-and-Daggers Open Discussion of Intelligence (Academic)
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:23:35 EST
Note:  I had tried to send this Friday, and it was rejected since I had
exceeded my quota.  My original reply:

> Elucidate those conditions please
> don
>
> SEMPER VIGILES
> YOU have choices, YOU may not like them, but you have them.
> Democracy at work!!!!

A good example is N. Korea.  If Saddam were actively moving the missiles he
now promises to destroy (a promise to be taken with a grain of salt,
obviously), if he were taunting the inspectors the way Kim is taunting the
IAEA, if he was conducting the type of troop movements seen in June-Sept.
1990, putting more short- and intermediate-range missiles on flatbed
trailers, that would constitute actionable activities.  Kim Jong Il has
carried out at least eight such actions over two months, as though he is
deliberately goading the U.S.   A chastened Saddam is making half-hearted
efforts to comply, though we should obviously question his sincerity  There's
still an obvious difference.

Loring Wirbel