BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:48:46 -0500
Follett with one "T" noted with a decided lack of absurdity:

>In a message dated 97-11-16 13:52:18 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> Especially when the focus of Bullamanka is
>>  to express ideas and fellowship with freedom and humor. I guess if it is
>>  not appropriate you can "flame" me.
>
>Well, that was a lot of words from Bryan Blundell without very many jokes. So
>what?
>
>Gab & Eti don't see any reason to flame Bryan. Too grizzly.

As always, G & E have a right sense.  See below.

>I am interested in refining the message. I consider that if Bryan's note had
>been placed on Preservation-L there is a good chance, as with Gab & Eti, that
>he would get a few people REALLY ruffled.

Please, please then, by all means, forward the article there....

>Bryan also wrote an article in CRM, which is another reason I wonder why
>preservationeers in PA lust after the rag.
>
>Regardless, we can BS away and laugh on BP, but in fact, the best thing is if
>we all let loose a bit and say what we feel like saying... be it humorous or
>deadly serious.

"Deadly" serious?  See below to understand just how close we came to
conflagration.

>Possibly I should refine the intro to reflect a desire of diversity of
>opinion and debate?
>
>And I hate to bring it up, but for me humor is deadly serious. I can only
>handle so much reality in one leaftime... back to the rack.

From the usage guidelines:

7) To share strategy on preservation of the built environment, which is an
important ecology within the global environment. In respect of a sustainable
planet Bullamanka-Pinheads is a space to explore these issues.

Brian's post was right on topic.  Flames would have been immediately
countered with tactical nuclear warheads.  An escalation in the
preservation wars would have been inevitable.  Pity that it would have been
a war among preservationizers, instead of on behalf of preservation.  Which
is why the preservation-L debate was, well, silly.  And why it didn't
happen here.  We are decidedly silly, and above wasting our time on such.
We are about serious silliness here...not interested in simpleminded
silliness such as was demonstrated there.

I believe the Bullamanka charter is crystal clear, and needs no refinement.
Waste not thy time, there are other new and other words to be crafted when
you return from the salt mines.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                               from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                       - Bullwinkle J. Moose