From:
Brad Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:38:27 -0800
>   I guess having a PS2 mouse would solve this, since the IRQ is at a
> higher priority level, but I don't have a PS2 port.
>   If I'm right about this so far, I guess if I moved the modem to
> COM1 and the mouse to COM2 this might fix this annoyance.

David G wrote:

  That might work. [I have my mouse on COM2 and modem on COM3,
and I
haven't seen this problem during download.  Hmmm...]

I tried it.
It works so far. I switched them around and have only been using
it this
way for the past 10 minutes, and I am really impressed with the
instant
response of my mouse.  I forgot to mention before, that another
clue was
that when I used the keyboard to paste data into a document while
downloading I didn't have the problem. Probably because the
keyboard is
set at a higher priority IRQ. I was going to wait until I had
used my
system this way for a longer time before posting the results, to
make
sure that there isn't some other reason for the instant mouse
response
(like maybe the internet traffic is slower right now, so there
are more
free cpu cycles), but I have to leave the computer alone for
awhile so
I wanted to post this before I left. Brad Britton

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]