BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:35:40 -0500
>Callan sez:
>>Of course nothing like that would happen hear in pennsyltuckie on
>>account we got real sensitive type preservation bureaucrats whatching
>>out.

Bruce replies:
>Ah, that's the advantage of Maine. We don't have any to speak of. So
>occasionally something actually does get saved because there is no one to
>stop the grass-roots uprising by pretending to be doing the people's job.

As a gummint worker, I'm particularly sensitive to this issue.  Managing a
municipal preservation program requires a real healthy sense of
perspective.  I can only provide services that the public wants...I'm no
lone-haranguer foisting preservation on the populace.  That's why the
non-profit organization is so important in the overall preservation scene.
It is up to them to create the climate and provide the advocacy that
indicates to the policy makers (city council) that preservation is a good
thing for the city, and that they ought to devote public resources to it
(ie. employ me).  The non-profit has to deliver the constituency to the
politicians.

I'm useless without others in advocacy, and have to be very careful not to
cross the line.  I try hard not to do the people's job, rather, I try to
provide services to them that they need to protect that which has been
identified as worthy of preservation.

This does not mean, however, that I operate without providing leadership in
those areas that are my province.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director              "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                       from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                               - Bullwinkle J. Moose