CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS Archives

April 2001

CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Macartney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cloaks-and-Daggers Open Discussion of Intelligence (Academic)
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:20:17 -0400
I don't think we should assume too much power and discretion on the part
of "CIA employees."
The question of whether to release or not release the intelligence
budget has grown to such visibility in recent years that we can be
pretty sure the decisions are made at the White House.  Thus, the
decision not to release the figure for the past 2 years, was a Clinton
Administration decision -- probably affirmed by the President
personnaly.
While I have little doubt that DCI George Tenet recommended and is
probably still recommending nondisclosure to the President, I do not
believe the decision was or is his alone to make.
Congress, of course, has gone into this several times and there have
been many congressmen who have argued for disclosure -- but they have
never been able to convince a majority of their comrades to go along.
I too would argue that the govt may as well release the intelligence
budget -- sometimes called the worst kept secret in Washington.  But I
don't think "blame" for not doing so should be hung on career CIA
employees.  Nor shoul their patriotism challenged on this issue which is
handled far above their pay grades.

    John Macartney

Steven Aftergood wrote:

> SECRECY NEWS from the FAS Project on Government Secrecy
> April 2, 2001
> PATRIOTISM AND CIA BUDGET SECRECY
> Granting that CIA employees are dedicated, hardworking, and
> decent, are they also patriotic?  Not if patriotism implies strict
> adherence to the Constitution.

[snip, snip]