CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS Archives

April 2001

CLOAKS-AND-DAGGERS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Mcloughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cloaks-and-Daggers Open Discussion of Intelligence (Academic)
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:13:59 -0400
The Inchon plan has interesting history. It originated with a Japanese
Army officer, about 1936 as I recall, in a document that ended up in the hands
of Herbert Norman. Norman was the Canadian External Affairs officer who headed
the Examination Unit's section that was responsible for interpreting and
reporting Japanese and Chinese intercepts during WWII (Examination unit was
Canada's SIGINT agency, along with another related organization.) Norman also
worked closely with British and USA  propaganda and 'information' services.
After the war he was an advisor to McArthur in Japan, and, I believe, was
responsible for shaping much post-war policy vis-a vis Japan in general and the
Japanese Emperor in particular. At some point, Norman gained access to the
Japanese document, which is now amongst the Noman papers at University of
British Columbia archives.

Ironically, USA accused Norman of espionage on behalf of the Soviets, on the
basis of supposed communist sympathies. Hounded by the House of Un-American
Activities Committee, he committed suicide while in Cairo as ambassador. I don't
believe Norman ever got credit for making McArthur aware, as appears to be the
case, of the Inchon landing plan.

Which is to say, how can I put this whithout giving offence, so much for fear of
moles amongst "friends", at a time when we can hardly keep track of moles within
the ranks of USA special services. I think your secrets are safer with us than
with yourselves. Michael McLoughlin