LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 16.5

Help for RAW-FOOD Archives

   

RAW-FOOD Archives

RAW-FOOD Archives


RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

RAW-FOOD Home

RAW-FOOD Home

RAW-FOOD  March 2001

RAW-FOOD March 2001

Subject:

Re: Frutarian diets

From:

Martha Brassil <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Raw Food Diet Support List <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:37:45 -0000

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (140 lines)

Nameste if you manage to live so healthily on fruits and vegetables I wonder
what country are you living in? The reason I am asking this is because
living in the colder northern hemisphere it is difficult to maintain health
on such a diet as it is overall too cooling ot the body. This then tends to
undermine the intergrity of the adrenal glands which then lowers digestive
power. i find that there are certain bodies who need the inclusion of grains
in the diet for health and and maintaining water balance in the body.
I found a diet of just fruit and vegetables too eliminating for my body
although I appreciate that others do ok. One has to look at the long term
implications of an all fruit diet. Our livers for optimal function need a
certain amount of protein. I do not believe that this can be got from fruit
as I lost too much weight on an all fruit diet and only gained it back when
I put good quality protein back in my diet.
I find that an all fruit diet is ok for a few days for cleansing purposes
but beyond this it can work against some constitutions.
Regards
Martha
----- Original Message -----
From: "Loren Lockman" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: Frutarian diets


> Dear Robin,
>
> Your questions are good ones, and asked frequently.  There is a lot of
> misinformation out there, and many people are surprised to learn the
answers
> to these questions.  I'll answer them below.
>
> In a message dated 3/5/01 11:16:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << First of all, what about protein and fats. I know we don't need a lot
of
>  these (definitely much less than the NOrth American diet contains) but we
>  do need some for muscle building and for the maintenance of equilibrium
>  within the body. I'm thinking particularly of women who need a certain
>  amount of fat in their bodies to achieve healthy rereproductive capacity.
>
> **You are right, of course, that we do need some protein and fat in our
diet.
>  What very few people understand is that there is both protein and fat in
All
> plant foods.  Protein is the building block of cell tissue, so every
single
> living cell -- plant or animal -- contains protein. Enzymes, the very
thing
> we talk so much about with raw foods, are specialized proteins.  Though
there
> is not a lot of protein in fruit, it is all we need.  A human baby gets
> between 1 and 2% protein in breast milk at the time in it's life when it
is
> growing the fastest, and therefore its protein needs are highest.  Fruit
> supplies, on average, just as much protein as human breast milk, and is
more
> than sufficient for any human's needs.
>
> **Plant foods -- including fruit -- also supply ample fat, in the form of
> fatty acids.  Fats perform the same roles in plant cells as they do in
ours,
> and just as they are found in all of our body's cells, they are found
> throughout plant cells as well, obviously in differing quantities.
Avocados
> have lots of fat, oranges much less.  Leafy greens also are loaded with
fatty
> acids.
>
> **Though most of our bodies are used to concentrated sources of both fat
and
> protein, when given the chance, and only fed the most physiologically
> appropriate human diet -- fruit and leafy greens -- they become much
better
> able to efficiently assimilate and use the small amounts of protein and
fats
> found in plant foods.
>
> **The generally accepted neccessary quantities of these macro nutrients is
> way over-stated because it's based on the apparent needs of the average
> person.  But the average person is creating heart disease or cancer as we
> speak -- not well, and not functioning efficiently.  It hardly makes sense
to
> try to understand the needs of the human body by looking at a poorly
> functioning example of one.
>
> **The same can be said for the micronutrients -- vitamins, minerals,
enzymes,
> and other phyto-nutrients.  Our needs are much smaller than believed, when
> the body is functioning properly and efficiently -- and this Only happens
on
> the diet that our bodies are designed for -- primarily fruit and leafy
> greens.  Like the other primates, we do NOT have the appropriate
physiology
> to process and break down the toxic by-products of a heavy protein diet.
Our
> physiology bears little resemblance to that of the carnivores and
omnivores
> who are endowed with the ability to quickly and efficiently eliminate
these
> toxic wastes created by consuming large amounts of protein.
>
> **Of course the average person is also cooking most of their food, and
> rendering the majority of the nutrients, both macro and micro, unusable.
>
>  Along these lines, are you going to try to tel us that a foetus can
develop
>  quite well if the mother eats a diet of mostly fruit and some veggies?
>
> **Absolutely.  Just as in all of the other anthropoid primates, and in
fact,
> most of the animals on the planet.
>
>  Also, what about the bowel system? Yes, what you say about cleansing the
>  body so it can adjust to a light diet makes sense. However, much fruit
has
>  diarrhetic (spelling?) qualities which can wreak havoc with the bodies.
I'm
>  thinking both of the high water content and of the high fibre content.
>   >>
> **Neither high water content nor high fiber content will cause diarrhea in
a
> healthy body.  In fact, both will often prevent it.  Our digestive tracts
are
> extremely long relative to other animals, and require fiber in all of our
> foods for proper processing.  We are over 70% water, and will become
> partially dehydrated if not consuming a diet of mostly high-water content
> food.  Eating nothing but fruit and salad, I never have diarrhea -- or any
> other sign of sickness or disease.  In fact, I went from being extremely
ill
> to being perfectly healthy, and have not been sick one day in almost 14
> years.
>
> **I hope this helps answer your questions Robin.
>
> Namaste,
>
> Loren
>

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

Advanced Options


Options

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password


Search Archives

Search Archives


Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe


Archives

August 2011
January 2009
April 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
January 2006
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
July 2002
June 2002
May 2002
April 2002
March 2002
February 2002
January 2002
December 2001
November 2001
October 2001
September 2001
August 2001
July 2001
June 2001
May 2001
April 2001
March 2001
February 2001
January 2001
December 2000
November 2000
October 2000
September 2000
August 2000
July 2000
June 2000
May 2000
April 2000
March 2000
February 2000
January 2000
December 1999
November 1999
October 1999
September 1999
August 1999
July 1999
June 1999
May 1999
April 1999
March 1999
February 1999
January 1999
December 1998
November 1998
October 1998
September 1998
August 1998
July 1998
June 1998
May 1998
April 1998
March 1998
February 1998
January 1998
December 1997
November 1997
October 1997
September 1997
August 1997
July 1997
June 1997
May 1997
April 1997
March 1997
February 1997
January 1997
December 1996
November 1996
October 1996
September 1996
August 1996
July 1996
June 1996
May 1996
April 1996
March 1996
February 1996
January 1996
October 1995
September 1995
August 1995
July 1995
June 1995
May 1995

ATOM RSS1 RSS2



LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager