From:
Daniel Leung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:47:57 -0500
One of my client has taken the lead and installed cable modem Internet
access. We are in Calgary, Canada. The cable company is Shaw and the
provider is Wave(www.wave.com). There is one time setup fee of
$150.00CAN dollar. But we get it free because they were late hooking us
up. Monthly charge is $40.00 CAN dollars as most 56K dailup account is
$20.00. On the appointment date, a cable guy come and install a special
splitter to the cable that come into the house, than a coaxial cable leading
to a cable modem, from the back of the modem a twist pair network cable
is hanging, then he left. I ask the guy what kind of splitter it is? but he just
said its a special splitter, I guest the purpose is to filter out the TV signal
but not sure. About an hour later, a computer guy come and install a
network card, drivers, network setting,etc. into the computer, connect
the twist pair cable to the network card. And wow, we are on the net
full time. We tried download a 10 Meg file(Nescape 3.02), it takes 2 min,
so about 5 Meg a min. the technician said the faster speed he seen is 10
Meg a min. but we have not experience that speed yet, the average is
about 4 to 5 meg per min. In general, pages does load very fast, for busy
site, there is simply no response, but once it response, it's very fast.
Then the idea of thinking taking the combo(splitter, cable modem)on the
road come into mind. The benefit can be high speed access when there
is TV cable, subletting of hardware to share cost, etc. Why don't they
make potable cable modem in the first place? So I ask the guy what
happen when we move the modem to my office, he say there is a chip in
the modem that will only allow the modem  talk to a specific router on the
network. This beats me because my network knowledge is very limited.
But I thought to myself there is no harm in trying. You know how the
cable company charge money, if you have 3 TV outlet and  3 TV set,
they charge you for 1 full outlet price  and 2 discount outlet. They charge
by no of connectiion. The phone company, on the other hand, charge
you 1 line no matter how many outlets and phones you own. So, at the
right time, I'll borrow the combo and update things. In the mean time, the
question is, in a Cable network, how many outlet can a router look after?
they are 200000 household in the city, every oulet has the potenial to be
hook up. Does the router look after a block of 'logical' address or
'physical' address? This will dictate where the modem can be
moved.Any ideas. TIA
Dan

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]