RAW-FOOD  May 2000

RAW-FOOD May 2000

Instincto reality (was Re: Human physiology, fat, and

Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 May 2000 17:00:07 -1000

Stefan:

>That's okay but if I had one wish free, I would ask you for bringing
>not only the counter-examples but also the examples themselves,
>especially your own experience which was 7 or 8 years, IIRC.

I have already reported that I did very well on instincto with some
minor
problems that would probably become major had I continued. Too much
fruit--not enough animal foods being the crux of it. I am as healthy
as I
was (and much happier) eating a paleo-diet which includes cooking.
Specifically, I am very attracted to steamed veggies (I ate very few
actual
veggies on instincto) and all degrees of animal foods (raw, rare,
normally
cooked).

>Hm, "temporary" is a relative thing. If you extend it long enough you
>might find 100% failing instinctos because they died finally! :-)

It will be interesting to see what instinctos die from and how often
they
end up using allopathic medicine. It is much more interesting to see
how
well instincto children do, physically and mentally. Whether it is
worth
the effort compared to a paleo-diet will also be interesting to see.
The
problem is getting truthful reporting as instincto parents (and paleo
parents) will probably under-report problems and over-report robust
health.

>>Instincto is great.
>
>May I print this out and hang it on my wall? :-)

Sure. As long as you give me credit. ;)

It may comfort you to know that if I do run into any health problems I
would return to instincto as a matter of course--kind of the first
thing to
try, eh? Previously, I was, for some reason, interested in being as
"pure"
as possible--presently, I am more interested in seeing what I can get
away
with.;)  Life is grand. I wish I could have several lifetimes!

>I can see your concern. Okay - maybe I should bring the examples and your
>part would be the counter-examples. Like we have done it in the past
>without making a devilish contract about it. ;-) :-)

It works for me, but it is actually a bit boring. ;) Perhaps you can
report
on some of the problems your Euro-instincto pals have to liven it up.
;)

>Maybe I didn't get the timeline right with you. There was a point when
>Melisa left instincto, gave birth to a beautiful daughter, IIRC and
>after a while you followed her (nutritionwise of course ;-) ).

We both drifted away from instincto at the same time as our
experiments
yielded positive results. Melisa was right all along--that instincto
didn't
make all the difference that I thought it did.

>>From then on you were more or less cynical when someone spoke about
>the positive effects of instinctive nutrition.

Just trying to keep the record straight. And also to make up for my
own
overboard "instincto is everything" message in the past. If I had kept
it
up I would probably be as cynical as jean-claude is these days about
how
horrible the world is. I _love_ the world, RoundUp and all! ;)

>Given your enthusiasm at the beginning of instincto - well even longer,
>for 7 years or so, I thought you might have run into just this counter-
>reaction. Is this even remotely plausable as a minor percentage possi-
>bility? ;)

Sure. Of course. Touche. ;)

But...

...the message about instincto that one gets from the "purists" is not
accurate, oversenationalized, and probably simply overblown to help
keep
one's enthusiasm up. Further, I find that much of my historic
overenthusiasm for instincto was subject to a simple mechanism: I
would
feel less alienated (and distrustful of the world) if I could get
other
people to 1] see how great it is and do it, and 2] see how cool I
supposedly was for doing it. jean-claude appears to hate the world in
many
ways--kind of the fruitarian rap only worse because he feels so
superior to
it. When he is not ragging on the horrors of agriculture or allopathy
or
whatever, he is simply prostelytising for instincto--regardless that
he
continues to have his old health problems and apparently some new ones
as
well. But on and on the triumphant talk marches on several lists. Not
single out jean-claude, but he has taken it up as his mission to save
the
world from the "holes" as he defines them--just as many food fanatics
do.
Calling his bluff doesn't work--apparently he has a pretty air-tight
defense built up with all his ideas.

When you say, "I can see your concern" above, it becomes clear that it
is
not a religion for you. jean-claude seems to be constantly on the
defensive
(if not entirely offended) whenever I try to bring a reality check
into the
discussion. It's an interesting phenomenom.

So, how about it, Stefan. How about some Euro-gossip on the instinctos
you
run with and/or have heard about. Good, bad, ugly. Let's hear some new
stuff. ;)

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft