RAW-FOOD  May 2000

RAW-FOOD May 2000

Re: Licorice

joel strickland <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 May 2000 11:23:38 -0700

well, i did say i was quite sure the seaweed claim is wrong, and good
luck
investigating it further.  so i don't think i was being overly
dogmatic.

for what it's worth, i haven't just researched this on the web.  i've
read
(somewhere, i can't recall where) that vegans on sea vegetables still
get
pernicious anemia.  to me, that's conclusive.

(incidentally, i don't agree that most science is paid for by
industry, at
least in the US.  the National Science Foundation pays for a ton of
it, and
doesn't benefit from it.)

could you summarize what cousens says that makes his minority opinion
sound
persuasive?

as for advocating certain positions, well, i don't claim to have spent
much
time absorbing the culture of this list, so if i'm being offensively
sure of
myself, i apologize.  i know that when it comes to food, all kinds of
weird
tribal allegiances come into play.  food seems to be a marker for the
Other,
who is generally suspect.

there are serious financial and health consequences to the dietary
choices
one makes, and many contesting claims to validity that need to be
weighed.
one has to choose something - one obviously can't defer about what to
eat
forever, so one is reduced to making the best judgement one can given
incomplete and biased information.  so, i've gathered that as a mostly
vegan, it's in my best interest to make sure i'm getting some
artificial
b12.  but i'm certainly open to new information that would affect that
decision.