RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 15:03:49 -0800 (PST)
Ric:

Kirt:
>>I have a tape of it as well. Want to match quotes? You listen to it and you
>>will see what I'm refering to. I wouldn't bother except that your "spin" is
>>so slanted that it doesn't seem proper to let it stand alone...

Ric:
>Kirt, my good friend, you didn't answer my question about "when did he
>(Peter) make it?"

Well, Ric, I think you easily beat me in unanswered questions, but after
wasting another hour plus listening to a tape of the interview, here are
some clips...<my comments on voice in pointy brackets> [other comments in
brackets]

Early on...

David Wolfe (NFL): Energy can _only_ be good.
Peter Weissbach (host): That's not true. You know that's not true, but
let's get to some of your more radical things. First you believe that you
don't eat anything that has eyes and you don't cook anything.
DW: That's right.
PW: Now I got that down fast...you really think that if people ate raw
foods--because you think that's the natural thing we should be--that it
would solve _all_ of our problems? You talk about over-population,
pollution, people with uncontrollable, unnatural sexual desires, such as
child molesters, rapists, nymphomaniacs--all because they eat cooked foods
<rising lilt in voice as if incredulous>
DW: Absolutely. All of humanities problems are _caused_ <said slowly and
patronizingly as if to a young child, to my ears> by a fundamental
disharmony with nature. That's why we have all these problems in big cities
like Los Angelos, San Diego, New York City, abd the real cause of all that
is something basic: it has to do with the food that's coming into the body.
PW: So you're sayong that if we didn't eat things that have eyes and that
of we didn't cook our food {laughs} that we wouldn't have any crime at all?
DW: That's what I'm telling you.
PW: Oh _come_on_now <like one would reproach a youngster>
DW: this can be proved very easily.
PW: How?
DW: Let's take some juvinile delinquents-
PW: Yeah.
DW: And do nothing else but change the food we feed them.
PW: Give em raw food?
DW: Yeah!
PW: Nuts and fruits?
DW: And that would prove it conclusively wouldn't it?
PW: Yes, but have we done this?
DW: No [and DW goes onto say it has been done with people in hospitals,
etc. No references of course.]

[The bit about the 30-year raw foodster I mentioned: I was wrong. DW
claimed 39 years and that he was the top salesman out of 13,000 others,
etc...somehow this makes me wonder further whether he wasn't thinking of
you after all, Ric, 39 is so close to 29 you know.]

PW has said that he enjoys his steak rare and bloody, likes steak tartare,
etc and DW replies...

DW: If you want to eat that that's fine, but the thing is you're going to
pay the price.
PW: What price?
DW: It's gonna clog up your arteries.
PW: Um-hum.
DW: Let me say this: a steak doesn't increase your risk of heart disease,
it _causes_ heart disease. Steaks, cheeseburgers, meat--_cause_ heart
disease. Caffeine doesn't increase your risk of stress, it causes your body
to stress. That's one of the fundamental <can't make out word> about our
book and that's why it is so powerful because we call a spade a spade. We
tell people how it really is. Not only that we ask people to judge for
themselves. Look, we could be wrong, but prove it, prove us wrong [I
believe this already happened on this mailing list months ago to no avail
whatsoever]
PW: But you're dangerous, when you talk about all of our social ills being
solved if everybody eats what you prescribe. Pretty soon I can see you
going up to the government and saying, "This is the answer. Let's outlaw
meat, fish, anything with eyes and let's outlaw stoves."
DW: My belief on that is this: life changes come from the inside out. You
can't impose change form the outside in...you know what I'm saying?
PB: <seriously> Yeah, I do.
DW: A change in diet--once you realize how incredible a raw diet makes you
feel--and I can tell you it can also bring you back from the brink of
death--any kind of disease condition _is_ reversable.

[on to detoxing, fasting, and a discussion of DW's ten day fast--the last
two days w/o water. He goes on to say that, "fasting w/o water increases
cleansing activity]

DW: That's why you hear energy in my voice.
PW: A lot of people put on that kind of energy. You go to these multi-level
marketing meetings and those people have all kinds of energy. You may just
be up for this interview...

Later...

PB: ...this in your face I'm happy happy happy stuff while the world in in
such an abysmal shape--I just can't stand it.
DW: Yeah, well, I can tell you, what I can do is bring other people up. If
you want to be brought up--
PW: I don't. I want to be down here wallowing in my own misery {laughs}.
Stand by <trying to go to a break>--
DW: Sounds like you're very successful Peter, but you can be even more
successful, you can grow even more <talking faster and faster>
PW: I don't want to be successful!
DW: The best way to do that is to give your body the best food.
PW: I _do_. It's a big steak I keep telling you. Hold on, hold on..<to
commercial break>

Later...

PW: Callers are saying I'm too hard on you. How can this be possible?
DW: Really?
PW: I mean the man has 100 times my energy--I'm this worn out dilapidated
body that eats cooked food and loves a rib-eye steak, sushi, and <sounds
like brashwei??>.
DW: Hey, it doesn't have to be that way!
PW: I want it to be that way. I _love_ it to be that way.
DW: You know, see that's...the food doesn't love you back though. When you
eat an orange, you may love oranges, but it also loves _you_ [oranges
especially love dental enamal...sorry]
PW: <thick sarcasm> Look, God already has a place reserved for me in heaven
so I don't give a damn if I go tomorrow quite frankly, but while I'm here
I'm going to enjoy myself. I don't want to live forever on this planet.

Later...

DW: God forgives, but nature does not.

and

DW: Humans are the only creatures smart enough to cook their food but dumb
enough to eat it.
PW: Oh, now, lets not get...that's _so_ trite. Please let's not lower this
conversation to that level.

Later...

PW: <quoting from NFL book> "Overpopulation is a result of cooked food
addiction because cooked food irritates the sexual organs. Cooked food,
especially dead animal products, push people through puberty earlier. The
organism constantly wants to reproduce because it is getting signals that
it is dying by the destroyed food coming in." You can't believe that. You
_can_not_ believe that?!? <once again, incredulous>

[DW refers to a nameless study in japan showing that japanese adolscent
girls are reaching puberty earlier in the last decades--hmmm: I wonder what
he would say to the studies showing that recent hunter-gatherer females
reach puberty at 16 or 17 all the while eating lots of cooked food and lots
of cooked dead animal food]

PW: But Japanese have cooked food.

Later...PW asks about the supposed aphrodesiac qualities of raw oysters...

DW: <judiciously> I don't know if that is true or not.
PW: <almost mocking> Well I don't know if what you said is true {laughs}

Later...

DW: The way I look at it is this: there are certain foods that are
palatable for us and there are certain foods that are not. And the ones
that are palatable and digestable are the fruits and some of the green
leafy vegetables. Everything outside of that is you have to _force_
yourslef to eat it. Or if it is cooked you become addicted to it like bread
, pastsa--
PW: You're invoking all these images of an addict. Now I know that use
little game...that's just your little sales pitch to recruit more people to
eat your raw diet, or _buy_ your raw diet.

Later...PW again argues that his rare steak is good and...

DW: Everything about the way we are--the way our hands are structured, the
way our teeth are structured, the way our intenstines are <pulled and
efulsivied???>, the way our mentality is designed. We don't have it in our
ability to chase down an animal, tackle it, and eat its guts out!
PW: Listen...now, you don't have to eat the guts..now please, now look do I
make fun of the way you have to...you eat like a...I was gonna say
chimpanzee. Do I say that to you?  Do I point out the fact that you and
your partners appear to be nude on the cover of your book swinging in the
trees like monkeys? {laughs} Do I mention that? No. Do I say that in a
denigrating voice? No. Now why do you do it to me? I mean I have respect
for _you_.

Later...talking again about the cover of NFL, the authors naked in an avo
tree...

PW: See now this is so commercial. This is just so _very_ commercial isn't it?
DW: <flippant> No, not at all.
PW: Are you the guy with the receeding hariline? [refering to cover picture]
DW: No, that's my cousin, Raw Courage. [I guess this is his "official" name
now? Wow!!! ROTFLUIBITF]
PW: So the diet doesn't help with the hairline I guess.
DW: Oh I think it did help cause he was almost completely bald before he
got on--
PW: Oh, now it grows hair!!!

Later...still on the picture...

PW: I know it's a "real" picture. You guys just did that for effect, to
sell more books. You guys are great _marketers_.

Later...talking about eating food fresh from the garden or tree [come on
NFL, let's see you eat those avos and cherimoyas straight from the tree, I
dare you ;)]

DW: Hey that's the way it was done for millions of years.
PW: They didn't have wheels, they didn't have fire, they lived until they
were in their twenties and then they died.
DW: Oh that's not true at all.
PW: Oh that _is_ true.
DW: Humans were once superior types of beings. What we have now--
PW: Oh we understand...I've already had somebody today that believed in the
lost continent of Atlantis. I don't want to get into the fair...hairy fairy
stuff.

Later...during a "discussion" after a caller asks about raw seafood

DW: If you have a fish in its natural state would you really want to pick
it out of the water--or be able to pick it out of the water--chomp on it,
scales and eyeballs and dig into its guts?
PW: <again, as if talking to a youngster> Come on, now, that kind of
answer, David. _Really_.

So, yeah, Ric, I stand by what I said (pasted below):

Kirt:
>>Yeah, NFL will soon be a household word, eh? I suspect we all hear what we
>>want to, you know? Today, I heard Mr. Weissbach level quite similar charges
>>to those presented here--they (NFL) are more interested in marketing than
>>accuracy; that many of their "arguments" are rude, condescending, and
>>pretenscious; that they absurdly consider cooked food as the cause of all
>>of humanity's problems, etc etc etc etc.

Ric:
>First of all, I listened to and recorded David's entire airing with
>Weissbach...somehow my tape and memory don't have that particular remark by
>Peter about the NFL crew.  When did he make it?

One conclusion I could come to is that you don't hear any of the above as
examples of NFL's absurdity. You will say that they don't say something the
way you would, but think it is positive that they say stuff like that
above. The book is _full_ of such overstatements and protein-deprived
reasoning. How is it that you don't recognise it as such? Your
Machiavallian leanings may be at cross purposes to "spreading the word".

Ric:
>If you'd tell me, then it will surely be on my tape, right?  I'll be able
>to find it.  I recorded all but the ads, and was on the phone a few times,
>too, so may have missed it.  Your allegation about Peter's derogatory
>remarks wouldn't at all surprise me, of course, because I've listened to
>him on the air countless times, have me and chatted with him off the
>air...and he's a real butt kicker and harasser of any guests that trigger
>these sorts of killer instincts in his psyche.

Beautiful, Ric. Not only is he your big buddy, but If he does take NFL to
task it doesn't mean anything because that's just his butt kicker killer
instincts coming to the fore. You must be in the advertizing business with
spin ability and damage control skills like that.

>He's out to get attention,
>stir things up, so why not?  It's just that I don't recall hearing what you
>do, and, with your help, can easily locate the statement on my own tape.

Yeah. Hope you appreciate it.

Cheers,
Kirt