RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:39:50 -0800
david noel transmitted:

>Bodhi, way to go with the trees!!! I love trees, I really do. They are
>amazing and beautiful. I think there is one old pine that is around 3000
>years old!

>David

aloha!
	david,
		i love krishnamurti (via print & audio).  now that i've
finished the last (8th) installment of "raw philosophy", i very highly
recommend reading _how_can_i_help?_ (stories & reflections on service) by
ram dass & paul gorman.  from the back cover:

Not a day goes by without our being called upon to help one another -- at
home, at work, on the street, on the phone... We do what we can.  Yet so
much comes up to complicate this natural response: "Will I have what it
takes?"  "How much is enough?"  "How can I deal with suffering?"  "And
what really helps, anyway?"

	In this practical helper's companion, the authors explore a path
through these confusions, and provide support and inspiration for us in
our efforts as members of the helping professions, as volunteers, as
community activists, or simply as friends and family trying to meet each
other's needs.  Here too are deeply moving personal accounts: A housewife
brings zoo animals to lift the spirits of nursing home residents; a nun
tends the wounded on the first night of the Nicaraguan revolution; a
police officer talks a desperate father out of leaping from a roof with
his child; a nurse allows an infant to spend its last moments of life in
her arms rather than on a hospital machine.  From many such stories and
the authors' reflections, we can find strength, clarity, and wisdom for
those times when we are called on to care for one another.  "How Can I
Help?" reminds us just how much we have to give and how doing so can lead
to some of the most joyous moments of our lives.

"This book is far more than a colorful road map away from helplessness.
It is rich, deeply so, in its insights into the human condition.  A
treasury of compassion, made all the more valuable by its many examples
of how individuals can interact for the better with people and, indeed,
the world around them."
  ---Norman Cousins, author of _Anatomy_of_an_Illness_

"_How_Can_I_Help?_ deserves a special place on that shelf reserved for
truly practical wisdom."
  ---Harold S. Kushner, author of _When_Bad_Things_Happen_to_Good_People_

"Wonderful.  A do-it-yourself book on service that is also deep
philosophy and warm human understanding.  The contents are real, are
useful, are alive."
  ---Dr. Nedd Willard, Senior Information Officer,
	World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland

"_How_Can_I_Help?_ is a gentle, tender, spiritual book."
  ---Karl Menninger, M.D., F.A.P.A.