RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:55:20 +0000
Hi Peter,

you wrote:
>The reason they conserve the olives is to draw out a substance (tannic
>acid?) that makes them taste bitter. Are you saying that you get the
>same effect when you store them in a jar.  If so for how long before
>eating them?  Have you ever tried to eat olives fresh off the tree?  I
>wonder if that is possible and how they would taste?

I've had no opportunity to try olives fresh from the tree. The freshest
quality I can get is the first jars when it is harvesting time. Still
then if I eat them immediately after opening the jar they taste very
hot, but not bitter.

Stefan:
>>If you want to eat the olives, you open the jar and let it open for
>>one day. The olives become ripe and eatable.

Peter:
>No matter how long they have been stored in a jar?

The longest period I tried it was somewhat over one year.
And "ripe and eatable" is really a mild taste, not bitter, not hot.

Peter:
>If the taste fresh out of the jar =3D fresh off the tree, why bother
>storing them?

For a more continuous supply. I tend to be attracted more and more
by the foods which are in season. But beginners are lucky if they
can order olives from Orkos even out of the season.

Kirt:
>... but I
>can't imagine the body choosing olives over avos, nuts, or animal fats.

I don't need to stress my imagination here because in the past three
months or so I preferred olives clearly over avocados (the latter
were totally out of attraction). Compared to nuts and animal fats the
olives were sometimes more attractive, sometimes not. I came out with
approximately one third olives, one third nuts and one third fatty
pork.

Is tannin that adstringent stuff that makes you feel as if your mouth
is contracting?
Then I can assure you that the olives I got from Orkos didn't contain
much of that. One can't "overtaste" it.

Stefan:
>>Depending on the age, olives may taste like bread, butter,... or sim-
>>ply like... olives. ;-)

Peter:
>You are making my mouth water. :-)

This proves that the instinct even works with emails. ;-) :-)

Kind fatty regards,

Stefan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]