RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 11:31:26 -0700
many readers here have seen my articles on milk substitutes made using
sprouted oats. Those articles are on a number of web sites, including,
for example, http://www.living-foods.com (articles section - two of my
sprout milk articles posted as one on the site.)

Anyway, although I have been explicit in my previous postings that
nutritional analysis data for oat milks are not available, I wanted to
restate this very explicitly, for the benefit of all.

Attached is a supplement to my oat milk articles; I request that if
you have the original articles on your web site or in your files, that
you save and, if possible, append the supplement below to the original
articles. Thanks!

Tom Billings

May 1998:
Supplement to Oat-Milk Articles

It is appropriate to clarify a few important details regarding the topic of
milk substitutes made from sprouted oats.

1. As I have stated previously on veg-raw/raw-food e-mail lists,
detailed nutritional compositional data on milk substitutes made from
sprouted oats (or almonds or other sprouted grains), is not available.

2. I have also pointed out (in the past) that the nutritional composition
of such milk substitutes may, in some cases, be low-fat (as oats are
low-fat). Further, the nutritional composition of such milk substitutes clearly does
differ, in a significant way, from real milk (whether animal or human). Real
milk, like it or not, has vitamins B-12 and D in it; most vegans are aware
that oats (and other sprouts) do not contain those vitamins.

3. Accordingly, milk substitutes from sprouts should not be used in the
feeding of infants, except on the advice of a qualified nutritionist or
health professional. In particular, sprout milk, depending on the
formulation, may be low or deficient in EFAs: essential fatty acids.

I regard the above as important, and ask that webmasters include the
above, with my writings on sprout milks (this request aimed at only those
web site owners who have my oat milk articles on their sites). Thanks!

Tom Billings