RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:44:01 -0500
Liza says:
>Here is something that just got posted on another list.  Goes contrary to
>what I have beleived (and seen!) among vegans and meat eaters.  Any thoughts?

Yes, the studies cited are very old (1978 and 1952). A classic hallmark of
questionable information when newer science is available is to hark back to
outdated studies, and then recycle them forever despite newer,
contradictory ones. You see this happening all the time on the alternative
diet lists. How about some more recent studies?

>Almost all cases of anemia and B-12 deficiency occur in meat-eaters, not
>vegetarians or frugivores.

A more recent study on macrobiotic diets [summarized in Nutrition Reviews
(1990) "Inadequate Vegan Diets at Weaning," vol. 48, no. 8, Aug. 1990,
pp.323-326] showed deficient levels of B-12 in macrobiotic nursing mothers,
putting their infants at risk. Among other problems: "Clinical signs of
wasting were apparent in 30% of the macrobiotic infants." 28% of infants
had rickets even though vitamin D levels in the blood were normal. Despite
lower-than-recommended intakes of iron in both the macrobiotic and control
groups, 15% of macrobiotic infants were iron-deficient, whereas none of the
controls were. Where iron is concerned, the review notes that poor
bioavailability of iron in macrobiotic diets is likely responsible. The
problems noted here also occurred despite the macrobiotic infants being
breast-fed for 14 months compared to 7 months for the controls.

Of course, a macrobiotic diet may not necessarily compare with a natural
hygiene or other type of raw vegan diet. However, we saw several cases of
B-12 deficiency in the Natural Hygiene M2M when I ran it during 1992-1996
as confirmed by blood tests by natural hygiene practitioners themselves
and/or M.D.s. (N.H. practitioners these days often recommend taking B-12
supplements, in tacit acknowledgment of the higher likelihood of low B-12
levels among their troops.)

One can claim that it is possible to get every nutrient they need from a
total plant diet, and it might even be true. But simple presence by itself
has nothing to do with adequacy. The real question is: are the amounts
sufficient and sufficiently bioavailable (well-absorbed enough).

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>