RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 12:51:57 -0500
>Ward and Kirt,
>
>This discussion about carnivorous plants has led me to a question I hadn't
>considered before: do carnivorous plants metabolize/assimilate their "prey"
>or is their consumption  of animal life simply a defense mechanism? The
>answer to this question seems to bear on the carnivorous plants' ethics and
>devolvement/evolvement. Whaddya think?

From what I recall, the plants do digest and absorb nutrients from the
insects. What I remember (this has been from years ago, though) is that
most of the carnivorous plants grow on peaty, swampy, deficient soils and
the nutrients from the insects make up the difference. I'd be interested to
hear some information from someone who has information from scientific
sources on this to confirm, augment, or deny, though. Interesting question.

All that aside, let's not let this discussion stray from taking seriously
the ramifications that would ensue for redressing years of ecological
imbalances by utilizing this important resource with utmost recycling
efficency. Let our rallying cry be, "Carnivorous plants for equal rights,
world peace, and environmental reciprocity!" :^)

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>