RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 18:32:11 -0600
Hello Peter and all:

(concerning raw animal food views of Schimd):

>It is by no means a moot point you are trying to make, but I suspect that
>you are reading between the lines more than actually quoting either Schmid
>or Price on this issue.  Should I against all odds be wrong ;-), I would be
>glad if you would be kind enough to point out my error with a direct quote
>from either one of the two books. :-)

While this statement is partly true, there are some direct quotes I can
point you to.  However, they are interspersed throughout the volume; it will
take a bit of searching to find them.  I'll be glad to point them out when I
find them.

I think that while you, I, and Schmid agree that there are clear benefits to
raw meats, organs, etc., this does not necessarily mean that we _must_ eat
them to have optimal health.  The main reason that I choose raw is to
overcome disease more quickly.  True, the most important aspect of our food
is its quality, origin, etc.  However, do you agree that in most cases, raw
is more desirable?

>Living in Texas my guess is that your main source is Manning's Beef
>available from Whole Foods Market?

When I can get there (it's an hour's drive, and I don't currently own a
vehicle), yes.  :-<

>>(I think the 100-year old eggs are simply given that name, I don't think
>>they are stored more than a year)

>Even this I question but would love to hear some more about this old
custom.

I have asian friends who confirm this custom.  Time of burying eggs varies,
but usually the eggs are fermented to the point that the yolk turns a very
dark, blackish color, and the whites become jello-like.  I have to admit
that this does not seem tasty to me.  Of course, I haven't _tried_ it
yet......  ;-)

>In order not to resemble stone-throwing hypocrites living in glass
>fortresses, we need to be careful not to fall into this trap ourselves.
>Recent slogans like "Cooked meat is poison" (Aajonus) and "Cooked food is
>poison" (NFL) show that black-and-white thinking sadly is alive & well in
>the world of raw.

True, this kind of tunnel-vision is not beneficial to anyone's development.
An understanding, accepting attitude would foster more sharing of ideas.
However, I am often guilty of this very kind of limited tunnel-vision
myself.

(regarding disease among natives)
>virtually any source on the subject will confirm that
>infectious diseases along with physical trauma were/are the main health
>challenges of these societies.

thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Ben:
>>You obviously know more about his record-keeping than I do.  I was merely
>>referred to him through a couple of his patients, who were very helpful in
>>teaching me more about raw foods.  I spent most of my time researching his
>>sources, and not his claims.  So I really don't know too much more about
the
>>statistics of his disease-curing.

Peter:

>Fair enough. However, your initial comments were not expressed with such
>temperance. ;-)

I'll not argue that.  So maybe I am guilty of a little enthusiasm about my
own paradigm of raw-foodism.  Just a habit.

(regarding We Want to Live web site)
>That still does not explain the site being so poorly put together and
>having such a low level of actual content - especially considering that the
>publisher is on the diet himself. He decided to publish the book when he
>saw the beneficial effects the diet was having on himself and his family.

don't know what to say to that.  I saw the same need for more information,
that is why I instituted the website www.odomnet.com/live-food and the
mailing list to offer a place for people to find more information and
experiences.

>Unless you have the patience of an Asian egg or the stamina of several
>herds of elephants, I would not hold my breath if I were you. ;-) :-)

good one, Peter.  :-D

Wishing best of health,

-Ben