RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:07:56 -0800
Hi Stefan, Kirt,

I find this cooked vs raw stuff really interesting, so I thought I'd
share my experience:  I always hated cooked fish, ever since I can
remember, from the first time I had it around age 3 or 4.  Every time I
tried some (about 20-30 different kinds) I'd hate the taste and feel
ill.  In my teens I first had sashimi, the Japanese styled raw fish.
Now that I think about it, after eating raw fresh fish then I could eat
some cooked fish without the previous reaction I used to have.  For
several months now I routinely eat plain fresh raw fish (about 3 - 8
times per week), and cooked only if I cannot find a fresh catch.  The
discussions I see here about eating raw but aged or dry fish sound
unappetizing.

Stefan Joest wrote:
> I'm not blocked to these, but still I seem to be blocked to those damned
> seaveggies which I    n e v e r    ate cooked (as far as I can remem-
> ber). So what do I make of this???
> Well, I'll attack them again next week. I've got some idea that it
> will work this time. :-\

Perhaps you don't need them rightnow.  I'm not sure how much difference
there is nutritionally between toasted and cooked nori, but that is one
seaweed I eat a lot - the toasted nori.  While at times I eat many of
the other types (purchased dry, then re-hydrated and uncooked), I like
to/often eat 10-20 sheets of the toasted nori at one meal (with other
things too).  I grew up having sea vegetables cooked in soup, and never
really liked or disliked the taste...to me most of the cooked vs
uncooked don't taste that different except for nori. So I'm just
trusting that and eating the cooked nori.

 Kirt:
> >"unblocking" for a particular food over there? I remember hearing of an
> >instincto women who just couldn't enjoy durian until it was suggested
> >that she eat some lightly cooked (160F) after which she VERY much
> >enjoyed raw durian--that is, she was "unblocked" for it. Sounds
> >interesting to me.
> Ah, so I should boil those nasty seaveggies a little and eat a tiny
> amount of them? Ha! That would be worth a try!

I read somewhere (Gerson's book I think) that too much salt can be
trapped in your body, and if so then your body would want to get rid of
excess salt and treats it like a toxin; and certainly Gerson's natural
juice/detox program for cancer exclude salty foods.  Personally I think
a healthy body is probably fine having some salt in the diet, but
perhaps if you have a dislike of sea veggies you might be needing to
avoid salty stuff (my speculation) --- or something else in there- -
anyway if that were the case I would imagine seaweed would be not good
for one, because it does have salt, as noted in another post today. As
for me I only recently had such strong cravings for nori, and my thought
is perhaps my body is now using it to help get rid of old toxins, which
it was not ready to do before.  In TCM most seaweeds are supposed to
help the body to get rid of lumps and excess phlegm and toxins that
cause those. There are times when sea vegetables have no appeal to me so
I just trust that my body needs certain things from different foods at
different times.

regards,
roberta