RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 14:26:45 -0600
On Thursday I needed to take a dish to a pot-luck. And I wanted to bring
something that cooked eaters would enjoy. I took a risk and tried something
new... The result was so delicious I just had to share it with my raw
cohorts!

Sprouted Buckwheat Tabouli/Pesto?

3-4 cups raw hulled buckwheat
1 bunch fresh basil
1 bunch italian parsley (that's the flat kind)
2 cloves garlic
4 small organic red tomatoes
1/2 cup raw sliced almonds
1 or 2 lemons
1/3 cup? organic cold pressed olive oil
salt & black pepper

Start 2 days early by sprouting 3-4 cups of raw hulled buckwheat.
If you haven't sprouted buckwheat before:
you don't need to soak them very long (a couple hours is fine),
I prefer to use a collinder lined with a nylon mesh
which I covered with a wooden thingy to keep moisture in.
And yes, buckwheat is naturally a little slimy. Rinse it really well.
My sprouts are always ready in two days (e.g. soak monday evening, drain
monday night, rinse tuesday and wednesday, ready wednesday evening)

Now for the dressing. I made an immulsion of 1 part lemon juice to 2 parts
olive oil. Then I added two small cloves of garlic, and the salt & pepper
(you can always add more later, eh?) In another bowl I put the chopped up
fresh basil, chopped up parsley, and chopped up tomatoes.

Now fold everything gently into the sprouts (don't mash up the sprouts).
Top with sliced almonds. Garnish with some of the fresh basil or some
parsley.

I found that the left over stuff after the potluck was even more delicious
because it had a chance to marinate.

I would imagine you could add some chopped cucumber or green onions.

jon