RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:35:25 -0700
Loren:
>Rather than having to do the work to produce all of the enzymes to digest
>your food yourself, you benefit from the action of the enzymes in the food.
>Because enzymes are extremely heat sensitive, heating anything even a
>little will destroy the enzymes.

Tom:
For extensive evidence that suggests that food enzymes have very
little
if any benefit in digestion, see the subarticle (3 html segments)
beginning at:

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2b.shtml

Loren:
>You might also be interested in a phenomenon called digestive leukocytosis.
>Leukocytosis is the body marshaling the white blood cells to your defense
>in the case of injury.  Any time you injure yourself, the body sends an
>army of white blood cells to the sight of the injury to clean up and
>protect the area.  When you eat cooked food, the body sends white blood
>cells to the digestive tract.  When you consume only raw food, there is
>no leukocytosis. Scientists have long claimed that digestive leukocytosis
>is "normal" and the only time that the body marshals the white blood cells
>when there is no injury, i.e., that this is an exception.

Tom:
Leukocytosis occurs in pregnancy and after exercise. There is no
evidence that such leukocytosis (or digestive leukocytosis)  is
a pathological process that causes harm. [It is hard to
consider pregnancy as a pathological state.] For discussion, see:

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-1i.shtml

Loren:
>There are fascinating things happening in our bodies, and many scientists
>still do not understand many of them.

Tom:
Perhaps. But for a comparison of what scientists already know about
the
above subjects that don't make it into any of the rawists books,
again,
see the information provided in the above links.

P.S. in a post last week, Loren claimed that cooking makes organic
nutrients (minerals?) inorganic. For a critique of the common rawist
claim that cooking converts organic minerals into inorganic form,
see the subarticle at:

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2h.shtml

Tom Billings