RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:30:19 -0800
The massive hemorrhaging after operations and trauma in those with overt
hemophilia are well known.  Not so well known is the fact that they have
a tendency to bleed spontaneously into well used areas, such as the
joints.  After many hemorrhages into the joints, known as *hemarthroses,*
joint deformity occurs and can cause crippling.  Formerly, fifty percent
of the severely affected individuals would die before the age of five,
but now they live longer because infusions with the blood product Factor
VIII, are administered. Replacement therapy with whole blood or with a
blood product such as Factor VIII, even though helpful, carries with it
some dangers itself.  There are the risks of viral hepatitis and
transfusion reactions.  Before blood was tested for HIV virus, many
hemophiliacs were infected with HIV from transfusions and a significant
number died.  It is claimed that the blood containing HIV virus is
virtually eliminated with concentrated heat-treated Factor VIII, which is
now being used. Nevertheless, most Hemophiliacs can be helped by Hygienic
means.  In the serious type manifesting in infant-hood, Hygienic care may
be sufficient to avoid most spontaneous hemorrhages.  I speak boldly,
perhaps even rashly, because I have faith in the Human organism, and not
because of the experience I have had in caring for hemophiliacs, which
was negligible.  I make this statement because petechiae (pin-point
capillary hemorrhages into the skin) and ecchymoses (larger hemorrhages
into the skin) do not occur even in those with the severest type of
hemophilia.  The walls of the capillaries are strong enough to contain
the blood in the vascular system in most places.  Hemorrhaging only
occurs in areas that are subject to much daily wear and tear, such as the
joints.  For hemorrhaging to occur the component tissues in the walls of
arteries must be weak all over the body, or at least they are weaker in
some areas than others, and the joint tissues themselves must be weak.
The arteries are in the muscles and tissues surrounding the joint.
Therefore, these arteries and tissues must be very weak and imperfectly
formed, else they would not bleed spontaneously as they are not subject
to the great wear and tear that takes place directly within the joint
itself when it is used.  The joint would probably bleed more often if it
had capillaries.  These facts seem to indicate that part of the problem
at least is a need for stronger tissues which can only be built by better
nutrition.  So you can now understand that it is not merely a lack of
Factor VIII which causes these individuals to bleed.  It is also an
absence of nutrients needed to build strong tissues everywhere.
Spontaneous bleeding does not occur in people who are well nourished.
Since the milder types of hemophiliacs do well most of the time without
any special care and only require blood when operated on, they most
surely will improve when they change to a totally wholesome lifestyle.

MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY
Muscular Dystrophy is a class of muscular problems, not just one disease
as many people think.  The dystrophies are actually a subgroup of many
inherited metabolic disease of the muscles.  They are usually studied
separately and are defined as "progressive primary genetically determined
myopathies."  I will not discuss all the dystrophies but only the
Duchenne type; and Myotonic Dystrophy of which I remember one case.  The
major dystrophies are:  (1) The Duchenne Type, (2) The Becker Type, (3)
The Facioscapulohumeral Type, (4) The Limb-girdle, (5) Myotonic
dystrophy, and (6) Occular Myopathy.  The Duchenne Type develops
at an early age.  The Becker type manifests in the second decade.
Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy develops practically anytime from childhood
to late adult life, and Limb-Girdle develops anytime from the age of ten
until the age of sixty.  Myotonic Dystrophy can develop in infancy or
only surface in middle adult life.  Occular Myopathy also manifests at
variable times.  Ask yourself one simple question.  Why does each type of
dystrophy develop at different times? If it is "genetically determined,"
 why does it not show up at birth?  One answer is that the body copes
with the problem as best it can for a while.  Pathological changes take a
long time to develop and they are microscopic at first.  But the main
problem is that a poor lifestyle and diet adds to and increases the
tendency to the development and expression of any disease!  More
importantly, the expression of any disease genetically inherited,
develops for many reasons, and not always just from the genetic damage.
Other factors such as the diet and general lifestyle sometimes, if
not always, play a major role in the development of all illnesses.  With
good nutrition and a wholesome lifestyle even though possessing the
inherited trait, the person may not always develop the disease.  Another
reason these problems develop at different ages is because the genetic
damages are not all quite the same.  Genes are relatively large and
though the same gene is affected in a specific disease, the structural
damage can vary in myriads of ways; and other genes can also be affected
at the same time for better or worse.  We have already discussed
differences in the genetic damage in hemophilia and the possibility that
other basic problems are also involved.  This same possibility and
probability is found in most other "genetically determined"  diseases.
Genetic mutations, and deletions, aberrations and other damages, can
produce diseases with a continuum from mild to severe, or in many cases
no symptoms manifest at all. Sometimes, a gene damage can be annulled, or
muted by other genetic factors in the same individual.  The environment
also has its effect on the expression of genetic diseases.  A better
lifestyle can stay the disease, and it may never ever develop.
When the disease develops late in life you can be more certain that
Hygienic care can reverse it or at least stop its progress.
For instance, in the 1970's a middle aged man with Myotonic Dystrophy
came under my supervision.  Although it was not the Duchenne Dystrophy,
the kind that most people think of when speaking of "Muscular Dystrophy,"
he was in serious trouble.  He was growing progressively worse when he
came under my care. His muscles were rapidly deteriorating, and walking
was difficult.  After fasting him and giving him instructions for his
continued care and lifestyle at home, I told him that he would need a
great deal of extra rest for complete recovery.  Knowing the seriousness
of his condition I advised him to retire from work early. This he did and
when I last heard from him, all his symptoms had disappeared and he was
having a wonderful time traveling with his wife in their motor home.  He
is active and alert, and none of the worst symptoms have occurred that
most people suffering with the progressive dystrophies develop. Myotonic
Dystrophy is said to be caused by a mutation in Chromosome number 19, but
it affects many other systems in the body besides just the muscles.  The
man I cared for did not develop cataracts, frontal baldness, testicular
atrophy, heart disease and dementia as most older folks do when having
this same mutation. Myotonic Dystrophy also varies in severity and
expression as do the other dystrophies.  Although, he was in serious
condition when he came under my care, this man made a complete recovery.
It is interesting to note that a third of all new cases of Muscular
dystrophy are considered to be caused by spontaneous mutations and not
handed down hereditarily.  By avoiding all known causes of mutations, and
supplying superior aliments we could halt much of the progressive
degeneration of the human race. Now let us get down to some pertinent
details in order to plan some strategies to cope with the dystrophies,
and also to help surmount the genetic problem completely.  The gene for
Duchenne dystrophy is very large and has been found on the short arm of
the X chromosome.  Because it is large, this gene suffers deletions
of varying lengths, some long, some short and some in between.  The gene
found in normal persons produces a protein in the muscle fibers called
*Dystrophin.* Although it comprises only 0.002 percent of the total
protein in the fiber it makes a great difference in function when it is
absent in varying degrees as in Duchenne Dystrophy.
o.b.t.s.j. ([log in to unmask])