RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 14:09:40 -0500
Well, Kirt, looks like nobody's biting much on your lame veggies question,
 so I guess I will! As with some of the other subjects on this list, the
 telltale silence is just too deafening and suspicious. (Like after the
 person--I forget who it was--asked what would they find in refrigerators if
 she opened door. :-) Boy was that ever a deafening silence!) C'mon folks, I
 KNOW there have got to be others out there (probably 75% of the list,
 hehheh, going by the echoes of silence I can still hear) who hate their
 veggies as much as Kirt and I do. :-)

Kirt, sounds like you and I are alike on this one. I do crave greens (like I
 love good mellow spinach, plus 7-10 day sunflower sprout greens are
 marvelous, and romaine lettuce is not bad), but other veggies I could
 mostly do without. Now, I don't know whether that's just the poor quality
 of much of today's commercial produce, but very little of it jazzes my
tastebuds.

I DO notice that if I've been shirking my veggies too much, I DO get to
 feeling less than my best, so that always prods me into eating more of
 them, but I can't say they really turn me on that much. Occasionally I will
 bite into a piece of broccoli or cauliflower or bok choy or something that
 really tickles my taste buds, but then the next day the same stalk may not
 do much for me. Or maybe it's just that only the occasional head of
 whatever-it-is you find is really any damn good in the first place. I dunno

As I mentioned several posts ago, one little trick I have is that I
 absolutely love carrot juice mixed with celery and romaine lettuce juices
 (you kind of have to experiment to find the right proportions but I found
 45-50% carrot juice splitting the remainder equally between the other two
 does nicely). I'll mix some of that up 2-3 times a week or so when the urge
 hits me so I don't miss out on too many gold stars from Miss Keethler the
 Kindergarten teacher. :-)

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]> Wichita, KS