RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:25:15 -0700
Ryan Cormney <[log in to unmask]>:
>About Honey:  I would think the imediate entering of glucose into the
>blood wouldd be hard on the pancreas(secretion of large amounts of
>insulin to keep the blood sugar level stable). Anybody have a take on
>this?

Tom:
The term glycemic index is a measure of how fast the blood sugar rises
after eating food; pure glucose (honey is close to this) has an index
of 100, and most other foods are lower than 100. So, yes, eating large
amounts of glucose (honey) does elevate the blood sugar afterwards.
As to how hard it is on the pancreas, I will let others address that.

Regards,
Tom Billings