RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:08:14 -0200
Hi, Roy

I've  seen some of their fights on TV, but don't know much about the Gracie
clan and their diets .
Got interested, tho, and did a quick search about the Gracie Diet. Went
through this excerpts from the websites. More about not mixing groups of
foods and chemicals involved in the digestion of each group.
Interesting stuff.

They are selling  a book about the diet  at GracieAcademy's  website.

            Helio

Rickson Gracie
http://www.rickson.com/

"Maynard: So in the reverse...if you eat something that is difficult to
digest and has no nutritional value...

Rickson: Exactly. You waste even more energy. We are not cows. We don't have
to eat all day long to maintain. We eat, digest, absorb, then rest. For me,
I think three meals a day is enough. I spend at least four hours in between
without anything but water.

Maynard: A very traditional Brazilian dish is black beans and rice, but in
your diet this is a bad combo.

Rickson: That's right. What you really want to fight in your body is the
fermentation process. Fermentation basically is a bad combination between
acids you produce to digest your food. For example, when you eat rice, your
mouth produces specific acids to break down the rice so your stomach can
begin the digestive process. When you eat ice cream, or an apple, or
watermelon juice, your mouth produces completely different acids. And that
can create a bad chemical reaction in your body. You feel heavy or sluggish
which is not good. It's not only uncomfortable, it's counter productive."

Gracie Diet Tips
http://www.gracie.com/

"The Gracie Diet is not just about fruits, it's about how you combine the
foods you eat.
If you're new to the Gracie Diet, we suggest that you start with just one of
the basic rules and make it a daily habit. After you've incorporated the
first basic rule into your lifestyle, then add additional rules, one by one.
A good basic rule to start with is the basic rule about carbohydrates.
Basic Rule About Carbohydrates
Never combine Wheat or Rice or Potato with one another; they don't go. This
means that you don't eat Bread or Pasta if you are having Rice or Potato
with your meal.
Corn combines OK with the other fuel foods (i.e., Corn goes with any of
Bread, Pasta, Rice and Potato); however, watch out for Cornbread (as well as
some of the commercial corn tortillas), because they often contain Wheat
flour as well as Corn.
Banana does not go with Bread, so if you're having a banana for breakfast,
forget the toast.
This tip added 5/22/96
Group D -- Foods That Must Be Eaten Alone
Some foods do not combine with other foods, and must be eaten alone. Carlos
Gracie (creator of the Gracie Diet) referred to these as "Group D" foods.
After you eat one of the Group D foods, you need to wait 3 to 4 hours for
your body to digest it before you eat something different.
The fruits and other foods that are in Group D (and must be eaten alone)
are:
Apple (if green or acidic)
Apricot
Cherries
Currants (fresh)
Grapes (if acidic)
Peach
Pears (if acidic)
Plums (if acidic)
Blackberries
Raspberry
Strawberry
Mango
Pineapple
  Cider
Loquat
Pomegranite
Quince
Grapefruit
Lemon
Orange
Tangerine
Acidophilus Milk
Curdled Milk
Kefir
Yogurt
Note, none of the individual fruits and foods listed above combines with any
other food or even with each other. That means don't blend the juices of
different citrus fruits, don't combine blackberries with raspberries, and
watch the blend in fruit salad, if you want to follow the Gracie Diet. "
------------------------------------

http://www.gracieacademy.com/

"When Helio got involved in Jiu-Jitsu at the age of 16, Carlos stopped
teaching, leaving the responsibility of teaching to his other four brothers,
especially Helio who later became the mastermind of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu._
Carlos then dedicated his attention to the development of the principles of
the Gracie Diet.
Although he was never formally trained in nutrition, Uncle Carlos
accomplished amazing results with his dietary combining expertise. Through
his dietary combination research, he developed a body of knowledge of the
effects of proper and improper food combinations, especially as they could
effect various ulcer and heart conditions. In fact, Carlos became very well
known for the effective treatment of ulcer and heart illnesses. One time,
one of the leading doctors in ulcer therapy in Rio sought out Uncle Carlos
for treatment of his own ulcer. Within one month, Carlos had cured the
doctor who became forever grateful. In addition to the treatment of various
illnesses, Uncle Carlos' dietary principles gave the many people who
followed them better metabolism, increased energy and longevity. Today, the
principles of the Gracie Diet are regarded by many people as a lifestyle and
as essential for a healthy life.
I must tell all of you, my friends, that the work of my Uncle Carlos has
been a major influence in my life. His development of the Gracie Diet has
been such a positive impact on me that I am confident to say that, besides
my respect for God and my love for my family, the Gracie Diet is the only
thing more important to me than Jiu-Jitsu. "

Roy: