RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:24:17 -0700
Tom said:   [from http://www.beyondveg.com]
"You have been given an old field, in which you want to plant crops. The
field is full of pernicious weeds. In order to plant your crops, you
must dig
out and dispose of the weeds."

Tom's Reply to Rex:
Hey Rex, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. :-) Note the syntax
above "you want to plant crops". And yes, some weeds are pernicious
even if they aid soil development: some weeds produce pollen that
cause respiratory allergy problems, some weeds cause contact dermatitis,
provide habitat for vermin, etc.

And, I trust you recognize that if you have a field full of weeds,
and you want to plant cash crops, you must do something about the weeds.
Besides Roundup, there are other options like turning the weeds
under, composting, etc. All such options call for disposal/destruction
of the weeds in one form or another.

It's really not a big deal - it's just a metaphor.
(Some folks are not as "weed-conscious" as you are, Rex.  :-) )

Note to Rex - the material you object to was written over one year
ago. I have been so busy working on NEW material for the site that I
have spent very little time updating OLD material. So little time,
so much to write...

Reminder on Copyrights:

Rex has used only a short quote from my article at http://www.beyondveg.com.
Use of a "small amount" of material in quotes is legitimate "fair use"
under the copyright laws. I ask readers to be mindful of copyright laws
in discussing any/all of the articles on the new web site (and any other
copyrighted material).

One can discuss copyrighted material, without violating copyright,
in a number of ways.

1. List the URL. In this case, http://www.beyondveg.com

2. Optional (but nice) list web site name: Beyond Vegetarianism, in
this case.

3. Limit quoting to "fair use" guidance (some time ago, Peter posted
something on that). If that is not enough, you can simply paraphrase
the copyrighted material and discuss it.

4. Another option is to ask for permission from the copyright owner
to repost.

I mention the above because the copyright on the article quoted above,
"Selected Myths of Raw Foods" was violated (today) by the moderator of
another list. We will aggressively defend our copyrights on
the web site.

Tom Billings