RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 20:48:41 -1000
Mike:
>Eating large amounts of meat is only possible if your body really needs (I
>put on about 10 Kg in less than a month). But after the demand is met meat
>just doesn't taste anymore and is repulsive. Nevertheless you can trick
>your instinct by eating domesticated meat like beef. Try bison or wild bore
>and you can taste the difference. Where beef still is ver well palatable
>(though not "heavenly") wild game becomes just not edible. Provided the
>wild game lived a really wild live without any human influence in terms of
>feeding in crop fields or a narrower habitat than in the wild.

I agree. Wild animal foods I have been fortunate enough to savor (venison,
elk, pelican, boar, various birds, various wild fishes and shellfish) had a
sharper taste-change to me than farmed animal foods.

But my wonderment is really this: today's instinctos eating only the
highest quality wild foods supposedly end up eating less than 10% animal
foods (or grow tumors :/) or so they say. The latest reported percentage of
animal foods in hunter-gatherer cultures is some 65%! Now none of those
cultures are all-raw (the closest probably being, ironically, the Eskimos
at 90+% animal foods ???). One can surmise that at some time in prehistory
our species "overcame" the tastechange in RAF by cooking it.

Trouble is--at least for instincto theory--that our species appears to have
come into its own WHILE cooking. With its insistence on an all-raw regime,
instincto seems to be "going back" to a time in human pre-history that may
well never have existed, or perhaps existed only for the more puny-brained
;) Our species' brain size did not peak (probably--this is a fuzzy arena in
anthropology) until after we had been cooking for a time. How much of the
brain size increase was caused/enabled/whatever by the (I am assuming)
increase in attractiveness of animal foods because they were cooked?

>Even wild game might be more expensive than beef you can eat much less and
>safe money and maybe health. In fact Burger recommends to have some wild
>game once in while to check if one ate to much of the domesticated meet. It
>work for me. Wild bore comes very bitter but same piece taste very nice
>like a German specialty sausage a week later or so.

Hmmm...I can eat wild RAF anytime it is available it seems--and this is
regardless of how much domesticated RAF (even cooked!) I eat. This is what
blows me away since...one of the premises of instincto theory is that
(over)eating a food in its cooked state would block a fellow for that same
food in its raw state. I remember seeing a TV show way back on an African
tribe whose staple was a particular tuber, usually cooked. Yet the video
showed workers in the field chomping on the tubers raw. How could they eat
it raw I wondered? Weren't they blocked for it from their "overload" of a
lifetime of eating it cooked?

I kinda ignored this tidbit back then because it simply didn't fit into my
new instincto "reality". But here I am several years later finding that
eating cooked brocolli makes raw brocolli a little _more_ attractive. That
RAF still tastes good even though I am (theoretically) overeating cooked
animal foods. Note: I have pushed this to the limit lately, eating grilled
fish, thoroughly cooked steak and pork, canned fish--and still RAF tastes
good to me, just in lessor amounts than cooked (but about the same amounts
as before the cooked experimenting).

And I am still blocked for raw liver, which I never could stand cooked as a
kid--don't think I ever ate a single mouthful. And I am blocked for raw
eggs, which I ate LOTS of cooked as a kid--but in a strange concoction my
mother made up o get me to eat eggs--scrambled eggs with cornflakes mixed
in--since I could not stand an "eggy" taste. Runny egg yolks were the
unltimate in yuck for me as a kid. Again I don't think I ate a single
mouthful of runny egg yolk. Now, I can eat raw liver and raw eggs, but
without much pleasure--certainly not with the lumonousity many other
instinctos report. So being blocked for eggs makes sense but why for liver?
I have been trying to get into liver for 9 years in it just won't taste
great?!?

<snipped interesting description of your protein attractions>

BTW, it sounds like you eat plenty of RAF, but would prefer not to (more
comfy with almonds, etc.) Is this the conditioning of your former raw diets
or is it just cheaper ;)

>Unfortunately there is no rule and I am sometimes very surprised what I
>(can) eat. Our intellect is not always (maybe only in rare cases) able to
>lead us to the right food in the moment, even so it can pretty exactly
>determine the long-term average demand. But our needs are ver variable in
>time and the sequence of foods is not predictable.

I think this is probably most true for individuals with illness or
deficiencies (ie. most beginning instinctos). I remember hearing that one
of Burger's daughters (the singer) could usually "figure out" what she was
after and it was usually confirmed by her smell/taste when she actually
tried it.

>So far some experiences in about 2 years and 8 month of instinctive eating
>(before I tried pretty much all other raw diets for 8 month).

Thanks for sharing with us, Mike. It is great to hear an experienced
instincto come forward and jump into the fray. Do you hear much talk about
"unblocking" for a particular food over there? I remember hearing of an
instincto women who just couldn't enjoy durian until it was suggested that
she eat some lightly cooked (160F) after which she VERY much enjoyed raw
durian--that is, she was "unblocked" for it. Sounds interesting to me.

Cheers,
Kirt