RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 20:39:47 -0700
>>By the way, does your family also eat mostly fruit? If so, _please_ let
>>your kids eat more than fruit!! They will get deficiencies much faster than
>>you or I on a fruit-only diet (their teeth with suffer first, probably)...>>

>Oh! You have touched an special topic. I would like to know your experience
>about this.

I have seen kids with their teeth rotting from citrus, but mostly I have
read of troubles that fruitarians, and their kids have. We have on the list
a kind soul (Ric Lambert) who has raised two wonderful (from the sound of
it) raw vegan kids so it may not be a vegan thing so much as a "too much
fruit crowding out the veggies/nuts" thing. Who knows? Not I!

>My wife and my 5 years son eat everything (cooked or raw, fruit, veg, meat,
>etc.) but they listen to me and their meals are full of fruits (for example
>the breakfast of all our family is only fruit).

I'm no expert, but I don't think a fruit breakfast will do any harm, and
probably much good relative to many other breakfast foods. I was talking
about a fruit-only diet being questionable for a child.

>My 22 months old daugther is different. Since she was born, she eats only
>her mother brest milk and fruits.
>She has never been ill, her teeth look better than the teeth of her brother
,
>mother or father (more white and stronger), in all her life she never cried
>in the night like usually do babies, she is always smiling, her
>growth looks normal, etc. I see she is a very "special" baby (but probably
 every father see the same in their daugthers, don't they?)

Ah, that sounds lovely. I am childless, and have no real experience with
how a child may be weaned on raw foods, but others on the list do and I
hope they will respond... I just don't think that fruit _alone_ would make
a healthy substitute for breastmilk--whenever your daughter abandons the
breast.

>What kind of deficiencies do you think she has or will have? How can I
>test that deficiencies? If you have any experience to show that I am in a mistake:
>I pray you explain me.

Probably your daughter is in great health, from the sound of it! Breastmilk
will do that for a young one.

Happy, good growth, good sleeper--hey, none of that sounds like deficiency
to me. I don't think you are in error, and it sounds like your daughter
doesn't either--she's thriving!

So what does everyone think? How does one continue to raise a raw kid
before they can chew much? Breastmilk? Fruits? Veggie juices? Nut milks?
Egg yolks? Raw cow's milk? Fish? SBA? Pre-masticated foods from mommy?

Cheers,
Kirt