RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:55:46 -0800
The information below is something I recall reading a few years ago, but
had forgotten the source. I came across it tonight (Monday) when I was
looking for something else. I thought I would share it with the lists,
as others might find it of interest.

>From the article, "Uncommon Uses of Avocado" by Yasseen Mohamed-Yasseen,
Ph.D., University of Florida TREC  [Tropical Research and Education Center,
Homestead, Florida], appearing in: "Tropical Fruit News", 28(1), January
1994, pg. 14; Published by Rare Fruit Council International, Inc., Miami,
Florida.

"Avocados are the richest known natural source of the seven-carbon sugar
D-manna-heptulose (Simon and Kracier, 1996; Otaga et al., 1972). This
sugar possesses the physiological ability to cause inhibition of insulin
secretion in humans, thereby producing "instant diabetes" (Simon and Kracier,
1966). It is improbable that blood sugar levels in a normal person would
be affected by average consumption; however, diabetics should consume
avocado cautiously (Bergh, 1992)."

References cited:

Bergh, B.O. 1992. The avocado and human nutrition. 1. Some human health
aspects of the avocado. Proc. Second World Avocado Congress. 25-35.

Otaga, J.N., Y. Kawano, A. Bevenue, J.L. Casaret. 1972. The ketoheptose
content of some tropical fruits. J. Agric. Food Chem. 20: 113-115.

Simon, E. and P.F. Kracier. 1966. The blockade of insulin secretion by
mannaheptulose. J. Israel Med. Sci. 2: 785-799.

I hope you find the above as interesting as I did! (It makes one think
twice about avocados - a fruit that many raw vegans are addicted to. If
you don't believe me that they are addictive, I invite you to give them
up and find out first hand, whether you are addicted or not.)

Regards,
Tom Billings