RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:53:25 EDT
Rod:

<< Please tell me more about eating 'raw bone marrow'.  I have never tried
this but think I will.  What do you ask for? Bones? Or do you buy meat with
bones in it? >>

Please forgive me for only now responding to this post of yours from June 1.
I'm a little overloaded with work lately.

I think you can find great information on this in the archives, but what I do
is buy "marrow bones" from our local Whole Foods supermarket, which sells
Coleman (organic, free-range) beef. The butcher either cuts the bones
lengthwise for me, or, if he's not there I just buy the bones cut into the 2"
thick pieces that are commonly sold for making soups and stews.It's easy to
scoop out the marrow with a butter knife. It is kind of the consistency of
butter or cheese, very mild and creamy and rich tasting, and there is not much
in each piece of bone. It scoops out completely clean, leaving a clean smooth
piece of bone, which I toss  to our dogs. (Sometimes I'll even share the
marrow with them, if they haven't completely irritated the living bejeezus out
of me by slobbering and staring rudely while I'm eating my share).

Somehow bone marrow reminds me of cheese cake.

Have fun!  Love, Liza
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)