RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 15:27:37 -0400
Hi Ellie,

> As Schopenhauer said, "All truth passes through
> three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
> Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Just because some guy somewhere said something, doesn't mean the
thing has to make any sense. Same as the valor and discretion thing.
Some of the dumbest statements ever uttered have been presented in
beautiful, flowery language.

> I am uncomfortable with the suggestion that I 'make up' something. It's
> insulting, suggests dishonesty on my part, sounds like anger misdirected
> at me, and suggests your need for more recovery.

"You need more recovery" and "You're still too toxic" and "You're
not enlightened yet" and "You're not speaking from your authentic
self" and "You're not On Purpose" and "In Denial" and "Misdirected
Anger" and all that other trendy New Age language. With a special
twist ("Detox") for the diet-obsessed crowd.

Just another way of saying "I'm above you."

> Pedaphilia acting out is a sex addiction, obsession with food
> a food addiction---these fade away when one recovers from the basic
> addicition of codependency.

Ellie, attributing every psychological problem to an "addiction of
codependency" doesn't make any sense at all. Whew! is THAT ever a
wildly simplistic summary of human nuttiness! What about a person
who's got an addiction to monasteries - they've got to visit a new
one every week or they can't sleep at night and become suicidal -
all because of some quirky occurence in their long forgotten past?
Who would you say that THIS unhappy person is "codependent" on?

By the way, "co-dependent" is now out of fashion. It was all over
the bookshelves about six years ago, but is now viewed as old-hat in
the pop-psychology crowds.

> If the toxicosis in the brain (caused by the
> underlying addiction of codependecny) is not cleared out, the nervous
> system cannot daily detoxify the periphery and prevent cancer.

Ellie, I think you're onto something in your ideas about clearing
out the brain (or the body - or the whole brain/body - or whatever
the heck it is) of its pent-up tensions and memories of old problems
that keep clogging up the works. And I think that your hunch that
there is a biochemical basis to all this is compelling. It makes
sense, and seems to be consistent with many other things that are
known about the biology of complex organisms.

I wish you would just stick to this important idea - think of ways
to research it in a much more rigorous fashion - and ways to
demonstrate and communicate its usefulness that would make it both
capture the interest of the scientific community as well as the
skeptical (and highly "b.s."-sensitive) public. That would be a
great contribution, in my opinion.

I think you only discredit your theory (and yourself) by wandering
off into foolishness like the codependency thing, or by jumping to
shocking conclusions such as you have in your paragraph above (where
the nervous system "daily" detoxifies the "periphery" and can
"prevent cancer").

> Probably the whole human race is (or was) codependent.

The WHOLE human race, Ellie?

Now I KNOW you don't think hunter-gatherer tribes of 2 million years
ago
were codependent.

DO you?

Love Liza