RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:51:38 -0700
Arjen:
This is not true Jo. B12 is known to be essential for good health.
There is nothing in meat essential for good health that can't be
found in plant foods (except for B12).

Jo:
You sound very much like the natural hygiene textbooks I recently gave away.

I agree that flesh food is not essential for health. About raw fats,
I'm not as sure. Are you certain that vitamin B12 will be forever the
only micro-nutrient exclusive to animal source foods?

Jo:
"I also believed what you believe now. What you write is sublimely nostalgic."

Arjen:
You didn't believe what I do believe, otherwise you would at least
have taken a B12 supplement. If I still would have had problems with
my health, I would have tried adding some invertebrates to my diet.
You didn't do any of those things!

Jo:
Based on what you wrote, yes, I did believe the same things. But I am
not you and my decisions about regaining my health through dietary
changes were different that's all. I chose to eat animal source foods
instead of B12 tablets and insects because I had no ethical or
evolutionary theory constraints to deal with. I also found this
decision more convenient, living in an urban environment, in a
culinary culture, in a temperate climate where insects are very
seasonal and unavailable at my neighborhood insect market. ;)

Will you join me in a saute of sauterelles? :)

And I enjoy RAF! If I'm not imagining it, my canines have become more
prominent. ;)

Jo:
"The health problems I suffered at the end of my raw vegan days were
completely resolved through RAF. Personally, this fact needs to be
weighed as well as your well-intentioned viewpoints."

Arjen:
You still haven't given me any reasons to believe that your health
problems could not have been solved with B12 or adding some
invertebrates to your diet! I do realize that everybody has a
different body and different requirements, but it still doesn't make
sense to me to start eating foods that don't support our biological
make-up!

Jo:
As I've already explained to Gary, I don't have definitive
conclusions about what my nutritional shortfalls were. B12 might have
been one of them. And I'm also open to possibility that it might have
been something else despite what you believe or know to be the final
truth on human nutrition. Although it might be interesting to
determine exactly what it was, I'm not going to revert to my previous
disease state just to find out.

If ever you find yourself as a long term raw vegan with health
problems which cannot be alleviated by the supplementation of vitamin
B12 tablets and insects, what will you do then?

Cheers,
Jo