RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:12:01 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Kate,

thanks for sharing your experience with us.

> I do not think I would like instincto, mainly because I am a vegan for
> moral reasons and will not eat animals.

you don't have to eat animals: some people choose to eat instinctively
vegan food.

> Also I don't understand how you
> would make sure that you actually had access to the food that your
> instinct told you to eat.

Generally, the food that can fulfill your needs is not unique; several
foods taste pleasant. But you are right in pointing out that variety
is important, especially under pathological conditions. But even for
healthy instinctos, it seems that at least occasional tropical fruits
are necessary.

> Plus what to do if you bought a huge heap of say
> apples, got them home then got your stop before you'd eaten them all, then
> watched them all going off because your instincts told you that you didn't
> want them? Surely at some point your waste-not-want-not instinct ;-) would
> tell you to eat them?

The best solution is not to buy huge heaps of fruits. Anyway, given my
tendency to overeat fruits, the waste is minimal. For vegetables, it
is a bit different, I had to throw away, among others, a few onions
and a few pounds of potatoes.

On the other hand, we must admit that our (or my) instinct is
parmanently polluted by the financial aspect: don't we hesitate to buy
very attractive items because of their high price?

> The oats are not really raw, they're the 4-minute porridge stuff, but I
> had a huge bag to use up and my husband doesn't like them. I would like
> suggestions on how I can make sure that the next bag I buy is raw and
> whole. Also if I will find them edible done in this way!

My (humble) opinion is that most of the commercial grains and dried
fruits are slightly denatured (dried at high temperature), but if you
accept that denaturation, check that the grains are at least sproutable.

Oat, and many other grains, are edible when soaked (and rinsed, to
eliminate anti-nutritional substances), but your taste is
personal. Try all commercial grains, you will find out which one you prefer.

> Is the wheatgerm
> giving me any nutrients that I am unlikely to get otherwise?

Wheat is probably equivalent to other cereals, but I am not sure.

> So what I'd like from you is some comments on the above, plus some
> suggestions for making raw meals appeal to someone who is basically into
> lots of substantial, strongly-flavoured, cooked food. And some suggestions
> for me not getting bored of my packed lunches. (I don't think I'll ever
> get bored with my muesli ;-) )

There is no easy answer (an instincto woman I met has to cook for her
husband, and eats her own raw meal instinctively).
The only idea I have: when my diet was still cooked, I used to enjoy
eating in a restaurant in Paris that serves many different blended
salads (not 100% raw, but almost), with various dressings+bread (and
optional pastries at dessert).

And don't be afraid of getting bored: you sure haven't tried every
edible raw fruit, vegetable, grain, nut, honey...

Best wishes, and good luck on your raw path,

Jean-Louis