RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:49:02 +0000
Hi Ellie:

you wrote:
>1. 4 TBS unheated honey...1hr. glucose=3D261 and was over 200 for 2 hr.
>2. 1 avacodo plus 4 TBS honey...1hr glucose 250, still too high.
>3. 2 very fatty raw Boston mackerel + 4TBS honey...1 hr. glucose 124
>and fifteen minutes later was 87. Very normal.

.. and mused:

>I'm not sure what this all means. I get the same results with dates,
>with and without fat, and am still experimenting a bit. From what I
>understand Aajonus thinks that honey will remove old glycogen and
>improperly assimilated yet stored sugars from storage in the body and
>the raised sugar level is not directly the honey, he says that fats
>eaten with honey provide fats to bind with the poor quality sugars for
>elimination. He also says fat and honey slow digestion of everything
>and often prevent old sugar detox. In others, he says,  this combo
>provides the protein to utilize sugar without the level soaring. He
>says processed sugars can paralyze the pancreas. Fats eaten with sugar
>provide a buffer that mitigates sugar irritation of the pancreas,
>allowing the pancreas to more properly function, that is, creating
>insulin to facilitate sugars.

>I find this all fascinating but can't figure it out. Any comments?

Nothing very new I suppose. Fish + honey are the classic miscombina-
tion IMO: protein + sugar.
How about the following very simple explanations:

Case 1: pure honey. Immediately digested and (in your case) high blood
glucose level (BGL). Okay.

Case 2:
1 avocado plus 4 TBS honey: Avocado passed to the small intestine to
extract the fat. Honey digested immediately: still high BGL.

Case 3:
2 very fatty raw Boston mackerel + 4TBS honey: Body starts with the
digestion of the mackerels, secreting HCl etc. Digestion of the honey
must wait until most of the mackerels are processed in the stomach and
passed to the small intestine. BGL keeps low. Also it is questionable
if the honey is digestable if it follows the mackerels. Perhaps it
remains undigested.

I've got no idea, how honey and protein can be digested together.
Maybe in Aajonus' damaged digestion system (no HCL or no stomach or
whatever is true) it works. :-\

Best good combined wishes,

Stefan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]