RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 20:11:46 -0700
just spotted the following in a book distributor catalog; a
new book. Thought I would post it in case some here find it
of interest.

CREEPY CRAWLY CUISINE: The Gourmet Guide to Edible Insects
by Julieta Ramos-Elorduy
Park Street Press, $16.00 list price in US;
ISBN 089281747X

Review:
This one is not for the faint-hearted but rather for those adventurous
souls who are open to foraging in their backyard for some tasty protein
snacks. This unique cookbook includes an overview of the use of edible
insects by indigenous cultures, information on where to obtain insects and
how to store and prepare them, and over 60 gourmet recipes with
stunning color photographs. Just think, in the event of a severe
food shortage, insects could actually keep you alive.

P.S. if the above grosses you out, please note that insects are
widely consumed in various cuisines around the world, and are
eaten by virtually all primates. By the way, I recently learned
that termites are rich in vitamin B-12. I'll stick to supplements
for my B-12; but maybe that's why chimps eat so many termites?

Tom Billings