RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 00:26:02 EDT
I don't soak string beans either, just dried beans like soy, chickpea,
lentils, adzuki, mung, but I don't eat legumes all that much anyway.
As for planning ahead, I think you're making it too complicated.  Just
eat whatever's handy that smells, tastes good.  I've never made a pie
crust out of raw almonds and don't feel deprived, either.  I plan ahead
with nuts by putting them in water the day before I plan to eat them, but
that's all the planning I do for nuts.  Seeds maybe the same, unless I'm
planning to sprout them to fully mature status, which then can take a
week's advance planning.  But sunflower seeds taste great after only an
overnight soak, or you can let them grow 2, 3,...,7 days.  Other seeds I
have eaten: pumpkin, sesame, alfalfa, red clover, radish (don't
recommend).  Grains also require an overnight soak and rinse; I've had
rice, oats, rye, barley, millet, buckwheat (which can be sprouted too),
quinoa, spelt, wheat.  Corn on the cob does not need soaking of course
and is delicious raw.

It would take too much space to list all the fruits and vegetables you
can find in the produce section of your food markets.  These require no
preparation at all, just peel and eat or just eat, as the case may be.  I
hope you don't feel like you have to process fruits.  Strong tasting
vegetables like garlic, onions, leeks are probably best avoided.  But
tasty ones include: carrots, beets, all kinds of lettuces, celery,
parsley, cukes & tomatoes (which are actually fruits), jerusalem
artichokes, fresh peas & stringbeans, spinach, water chestnuts, arugula,
cabbage, bok choi, nappa, eggplant, zucchini and other squashes, sweet
peppers, kale, collards.  Need I go on?  I find raw yams tasty, but it
might take awhile for starches to taste good to you raw.  Sometimes I
like white potatoes, but usually not.

The best way to eat a meal to avoid indigestion, if you're going to eat
more than one food item at the meal, is to eat the most liquid item first
(cukes for example), then the next most liquid item (carrots let's say),
and so on, ending with the densest food (nuts or grains maybe).

Mixing your foods into smoothies, pies, salads, and so on according to
recipes is (a) totally unnecessary, (b) a lot of bother, and (c) liable
to lead to indigestion at times.  I only do it if I'm making something
special for a potluck or something, not for everyday eating.  (And
actually, nowadays for potlucks I often just bring a watermelon.
Everyone loves it, and no preparation is required.)  Otherwise, the
algorithm boils down to: (a) peel and eat and/or (b) grab and eat, maybe
slicing if necessary, (c) draining and rinsing and then eating pre-soaked
food, (d) rinse off plates and bowls in hot water, and (e) pre-soak
and/or sprout some stuff for later.  And maybe (f) fill the distiller
with  water and turn it on.

No, I don't have any children, but whenever I take a watermelon to a
potluck, I'm a big hit with the kids.  They always come over to the
watermelon before any of the other dishes people bring.

As far as liking only certain foods raw, that's perfectly normal too.  As
time goes on, you will probably start liking other raw things that you
don't like now.  And maybe vice versa.  A good book to take a look at is
"Instinctive Nutrition" by Severin Schaeffer or, even better if you speak
French, "Instinctotherapie: Manger Vrai" by Guy-Claude Burger.

I hope this was of some help.
				Bob