RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:32:47 -0400
Loren,

I think you are a little confused about oxalic acid.

>From your post:

> Oxalic acid is a problem in its inorganic form.  It is only in this form
> that crystals form in the kidneys, creating kidney stones.
> <snip>  Organic oxalic acid
> is important for peristaltic action in the bowel.  Oxalic acid combines
> readily with calcium, and assists your body in assimilating calcium.

Oxalic acid, whether raw or cooked, is in fact problematic. I'd be a
little careful about the large amounts of spinach you're eating.

>From "Decomposition of Oxalate by Microorganisms" by Nurettin Sahin
(http://www.mu.edu.tr/private/nsahin2.html)

"Oxalic acid is naturally occurring, highly oxidized organic
compound with powerful chelating activity. At high concentrations,
oxalic acid causes death in humans and animals due to its corrosive
effects. In smaller amounts, oxalic acid causes a variety of
pathological disorders, including hyperoxaluria, pyridoxine
deficiency, cardiomyopathy, cardiac conductancedisorders, calcium
oxalate stones and renal failure." [SIDHU, H., et al.: J. Clinical
Microbiol., 35: 350 (1997)].
--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)