RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Wuts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:25:24 -0700
Liza May wrote:

Ward:
< I tend to think similarly. No matter how odious, objectionable, hateful,
> spiteful, misguided, etc., people can be, I believe that most people (perhaps
> not all, but most) are well-intentioned. >>

Liza:
> It has taken me a lifetime to accept the fact that there are actually people,
> plenty of people, who are so confused, that they actually can rationalize even
> the most evil and cruel behavior. Take for example a gang of hoodlums, who go
> around the neighborhood and terrorize, maul and mutiliate senior citizens, for
> the fun of beating up on something weak. <SNIP>
> But I would not call this "well-intentioned." I would call it massive
> confusion, leading to evil cruelty.

I have thought about the concept of evil for along time. I don't believe
evil exists, but I see what is called evil as misguided survival behaviors. I believe
that our psychological and emotional states come from our evolutionary
history. Greed for example could be thought of as a misguided effort to
accumulate and store for the winter or drought. Territorial fighting is
also found in many species and has survival value for them. I believe
for evil to exist there would have to be some kind of negative God. Some
religious people do believe in this. Personally I believe the whole
universe is a totally good entity. However microscopic examinations of
small parts of it might appear to the contrary.

Ward:
> << Also - what do people think the difference is between fanatical,
> objectionable proselytizing and a more healthy approach to spreading awareness
> of something that one believes has merit? >>

Liza:
> Now that is a GREAT question!!!  ;-))  A question that is really important,
> useful, challenging, and deserves some good thought, in my opinion.  I've
> thought a lot about it myself, and have a few ideas (but your terrific post
> here caught me JUST on my way out the door - so I'm actually making myself
> late by answering). To do this subject justice, I think I will answer late
> tonight, or tomorrow, when I get back.

I think the difference comes from the motivation of the person doing it.
If it is done from a place of love it probably will not come out seeming
fanatical. If it comes from greed or fear it will most likely smell. I
think that a proselytizer can thus distinguish how he will come across
by looking into his heart to see if he is truly coming from love or not.
This takes practice and a lot of awareness about ones self but can be
done.

Frank.