RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 23:29:21 -0600
Wes:
>In the introduction to the 2nd Edition of "Food Enzymes For Health &
Longevity", >Viktoras Kulvinskas notes that "'Leukocytosis' is the name
that medical pathology gives >to an excessive augment of white blood
corpuscles in the blood.

I think that the word "excessive" is Viktoras' own interpretation.

> Donders discovered this phenomenon in 1846 and Virchow classified
'digestive >leukocytosis' as 'normal' since everyone seemed to suffer from
it.

150 years later we do not know seem to know more of what are 'normal' levels.

>Kautchakoff found that he could divide his findings on leukocytosis in
four distinct >groups according to reaction in the blood: 1) raw food
produced no augment in white >blood cells of the blood;)

He also showed that neither did cooked food if adding 10% of the same food
raw or adding a raw food whose critical temperature was higher.  Another
exception he found were foods heated below their critical temperature
(189-207 degrees F) for 30 minutes.

>2)common cooked food caused leukocytosis; 3) pressure cooked food caused
greater
>leukocytosis than non-pressure cooked food; 4) manufactured foods such as
wine, >vinegar, white sugar, ham, etc. are the most offensive.

If you want to go into such detail why leave out the important information
on the critical temperature?

>Kautchakoff was no vegetarian yet his findings show that flesh would have
to be eaten >raw to avoid leukocytosis which would be unpalatable to
humans, but prepared meat >?(cooked, smoked, salted, etc.) brought on the
most violent reaction equivalent to the >leukocytosis count manifest in
poisoning."

Rare, grilled, smoked and salted meats were also considered OK by him -
especially if served with a salad.

>In "Conscious Eating", p. 368, Gabriel Cousens, M.D. mentions that "As
described >earlier, research by Paul Kouchakoff, M.D., in 1930 showed that
every time we eat >cooked foods, we get an increase of white blood cells in
our blood stream.

It seems that you are not the only one who is having problems reading
Kouchakoff. ;-)

> DR. HOWARD LOOMIS HAS REGULARLY REPEATED SOME OF DR. KOUCHAKOFF'S RESULTS
IN HIS >CLINICAL WORK WITH HUNDREDS OF PATIENTS". (emphasis mine)

How did he conduct these studies?  Were there any controls etc.?

>I believe Howell cites some material on leukocytosis in "Food Enzymes for
Health & >Longevity". But I'd have to flip through it in order to find the
specifics.

Let us know what you come up with.

>It seems that such things as cooked foods, especially processed, and heavy
exercise, >pregnancy, etc. are all stresses to the body, thus stimulate the
immune  >response/leukocytosis...

Without a healthy amount of stress our bodies would wither away.  Our
ability to respond favorably to stress depends on - among other things - us
getting adequate nutrients from our diet.

Best, Peter