RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 09:34:42 +0200 (MET DST)
Peter:

> No real argument except that I fail to see why people living in France
> should have any nutritional need for having durians as a staple in
> their diet - not considering the amount of energy wasted in the
> transportation. As a treat now and then I understand.

Strictly speaking, we don't "need" durians; no food is
essential. Paleo-humans living in Africa didn't have durians or
avocados. But I can't deny that the pleasure of eating apples has
never reached the pleasure I sometimes get with durians, and can
hardly imagine that it is due to my neurotic cravings. As I can afford
that "luxury product", I do it occasionally. Not that I particularly
need it for my health (other foods would fulfill these needs just more
slowly), but pleasure is important. No one would condemn going to the
movie, buying CDs... But I agree with you that saying such things as
"durian is fundamental for detoxing such and such things" is nonsense.

You also seem to be concerned by ecological aspects. I am too, up to a
certain point, but could hardly imagine eating only fruits that grow
in my country. Never eating bananas, oranges, avocados, pineapples
would be rather ascetic. Durian is not "more" tropical than bananas,
but due to the tiny amount of edible parts, more energy is wasted. I
generally avoid fruits shipped by plane, paying double price for
pineapples is not worth the slight improvement of the taste. OTOH, we
all use cars and/or public transportation, occasionally travel by
plane... And even a round trip by plane for a Bob Avery without
luggage after a 18-day fast (83 lbs) is equivalent to a single ticket
for 28 durians of 6 lbs -. [This is a paleo-smiley]

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis.