RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loren Lockman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:42:37 EDT
Dear EnzymeRich,

First of all, your parents were very creative when it came to names.

Congratulations on your 100% raw vegan diet.

It can certainly take a while to eliminate decades of stored waste.
There
are other possible reasons for the continuing mucus.  It could be that
your
somewhat compromised immune system is still having a difficult time
with
environmental factors, i.e., pollen, leaf mold, pollution, etc, or you
could
even be sensitive to some fruits/leafy greens.

To determine if it's the latter, you could do a strict elimination
diet,
where you eat nothing but grapefruit, or oranges, etc, for 4 or 5
days.  Any
one thing.  See if the mucus dissipates doing that.  If so, slowly add
one
food at a time back into your diet to find culprit foods.

Our bodies produce mucus to encapsulate and eliminate invading
proteins,
whether via food, or the respiratory system, so there are many
possible
reasons why you might still be producing mucus.

The other reason, which you talked about, is that with such a
relatively
easy diet now, your body is finally being given the chance to
eliminate
stuff it never could before.  This process, which can be slow, can be
dramatically speeded up by fasting.

Fasting is a completely natural process which all animals, except man,
resort to when sick.  The average person has a 6 week reserve of
nutrients,
i.e., could fast for 6 weeks with no harm to the body.  Once reserves
are
used up, the body starts to consume necessary tissue.  That is called
starving, and is not recommended.

Most people do not need to fast for 6 weeks to get benefits though.
You
can start by fasting for three days.  Once you're comfortable with
that,
you can wait 2 or 3 weeks and fast again for a longer time.  A seven
day
fast is long enough to see tremendous benefits, though often the most
benefit comes on a 14 day fast.

Drinking only juice is not fasting.  It is a juice diet.  There are
specific physiological changes that occur in the complete absence of
nutrients, which do not come about when just drinking juice.  There
are
still some benefits that can be had from a juice diet, but nothing
like
what happens when fasting.

There is nothing magical about fasting.  It is simply the most
efficient,
most effective, and most natural way to clean out your system.

I have fasted myself for a week or more over twenty times, and fast at
least
once per year for two weeks.  I also have supervised many fasts for
others.

There are many other areas to consider for your low energy.  Food is a
critical factor, but is certainly not the only one.  How is your
emotional
state?  Are you dealing with a lot of stress?  You might want to
consider
meditation, or some other specific practice to deal with stress in
your
life.
 Are you getting enough exercise?  You need not spend hours at the
gym, but
you do need to stay active.  Yoga, walking, gardening, etc, are all
gentle
ways to keep your body moving.  This will not only keep muscle
strength up,
but it will improve the blood and lymph circulation (lymph carries
away
cellular waste products and good lymph flow is critical to health),
strengthen bones, and produce mood-enhancing endorphins.

Are you getting outside in the sun?  We, like all other animals and
plants,
need solar radiation, both on our bare skin, and through our
unprotected
eyes.  No sunscreen or sunglasses for at least 15 minutes every day,
if
possible.  Even in the winter, if you can find a spot protected from
the
wind, you can sunbathe in cold temperatures, and feel fine.  The
infrared
rays from the sun will keep you warm, even when quite cold, as long as
it's
sunny.

Finally, are you getting enough sleep?  Sleep is absolutely critical,
and
most people do not properly meet their needs for it.  While cleansing,
you
may need more sleep than usual.  Get to bed early, and allow yourself
sleep as long as your body needs to, whenever possible.

Hope some of this helps.  Hang in there.  Perfect health is our
natural
birthright, and if you're not dead yet, it's probably not too late for
you.
I myself came to all of this 14 years ago because I had been very
sick.

Take care,

Loren