RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:08:02 -0700
Ellie said:
| In the meantime, I'd like to be able to study the evidence and discuss
| it without being labelled as an extremist in either direction. I think
| it is possible to be all raw or all cooked or all fruit or all raw organ
| meat without being an idealist. In my opinion the attacking of people
| with one view or the other is based on psychological problems that have
| nothing to do with food. Rigid frutarianism, for instance, is not caused
| by fruit, but is the result of toxicosis in the brain.

She also added later:
| I keep wanting to confront the real issue, which is the toxic minds of
| those who are doing the attacking. As you know I believe it is
| endogenous toxicosis in the brain... toxins that accumulate as a result
| of repressing anger. Toxic minded people are rigid and likely to try to
| angrily impose their beliefs on others. I wish we could reach them and
| steer them into recovery.

Jo sez:
Thanks Ellie for raising the issue. I can relate to the above from my own
experiences as a "rigid" natural hygienist / fruitarian over the years. You
know how it goes. The snide remarks as one passes the meat freezer at
Safeway; the exaggerated disgust when someone digs into a barbecued filet
at a table next to you; the incessant arguments (intellectual, we
rationalize) at social gatherings over a bag of potato chips; estrangement
from family; blame; paranoia; the overbearing frustration of watching the
world fall apart because "they just don't get it."

I believe a person can gravitate towards his or her ideal diet without
extremism. I'm not saying it happens consistently, but the potential is
there.

Repressed anger, fear, bitterness, shame, etc are potent emotional blocks
to openness and acceptance. My own healing (it continues) has made this
clear to me. I reckon twelve years ago if I was threatened physically (as
Tom Billings was), I would have stayed and waited. In my muscle shirt. With
a wooden club in hand. No, I would have hunted down NFL. Pre-emptive. So
insecure was this cowboy. Full of fear, anger and hate.

Now, aside from a razzberry salute, I would walk away and organize my own
Natural Food Expo for next year. At UC Berkeley. Hang dozens of garlic
wreaths to ward off malevolent entities (actually I'm not too keen on
garlic myself so maybe nix that idea).

I'm really glad to know that violence and vitriolic catcalls are no longer
my options. Besides, my old muscle shirts are really baggy now. Better get
back to them barbells!