RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:46:47 -0700
a paper in the latest issue of PNAS discusses the possibility of using GE
(genetic engineering) to produce grains that exclude phytates - a common and
troublesome anti-nutrient.

PNAS | August 30, 2005 | vol. 102 | no. 35 | 12612-12617

Generation of phytate-free seeds in Arabidopsis through disruption of inositol
polyphosphate kinases

Jill Stevenson-Paulik, Robert J. Bastidas, Shean-Tai Chiou, Roy A. Frye  and
John D. York

Abstract:
Phytate (inositol hexakisphosphate, IP6) is a regulator of intracellular
signaling, a highly abundant animal antinutrient, and a phosphate store in
plant seeds. Here, we report a requirement for inositol polyphosphate kinases,
AtIPK1 and AtIPK2, for the later steps of phytate synthesis in Arabidopsis
thaliana. Coincident disruption of these kinases nearly ablates seed phytate
without accumulation of phytate precursors, increases seed-free phosphate by
10-fold, and has normal seed yield. Additionally, we find a requirement for
inositol tetrakisphosphate (IP4)/inositol pentakisphosphate (IP5) 2-kinase
activity in phosphate sensing and root hair elongation. Our results define a
commercially viable strategy for the genetic engineering of phytate-free grain
and provide insights into the role of inositol polyphosphate kinases in
phosphate signaling biology.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/35/12612

Tom Billings