RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meredith Westfall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 13:56:24 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks Sandy for the warm welcome.
This is not going to be a biased comment (!), but really folks, everyone
on this list is so positive .  I've been on other lists where the
bickering was just unbelievable...

When I was in Japan and discovered "Fuyu"persimmons, I ate them
continually thoughout the day.  Other food just never happened.  I
probably ate about 20 a day.  My Japanese co-workers thought I was insane.
Generally speaking, there dishes are very small.  A salad would be a
mixture of singular slices.  You know, a leaf of this and a section of that.
Well, I was reading M2M at the library yesterday..I always carry "other"
reading material which ends up getting read beofre the hafta stuff (for
school).  So Ward, I felt so bad that your library didn't have the 1993
Scientific American article on two different primates (Spider Monkeys and
Howlers) and their dietary habits.  Turns out that their eating habits
differ a lot.  One is more of a leaf eater, and the other is more of a
fruit eater. The fruit eater has more specific eating plans which
involves more thinking,thus a bigger brain.  Haven't finished it yet,
but it'll be in the mail tomorrow.
And Ward, thanks for the info on sugar.  I've never been a big protein eater.
Growing up, I alwaywanted to eat two desserts and no dinner!  In college,
all of  my friends were giving up stuff for lent (I, other the other
hand, had hardly heard of lent), but decided to join in.  One friend
slept on the floor, another avoided blatant sugar, so I chose all sugar
(which is in all processed food, more or less) and caffeine.  I was in a
comatose state for about 10 days.  Normally, I'm "high energy", everyone
kept asking me what was wrong.  I remember thinking there was hardly
anything for me to eat, except fruit and veggies . And at college these
two food groups were limited.  When Easter rolled around, I stopped Lent
with 2 Cadbury cream eggs and a Toblerone bar.  Needless to say, I felt
really sick!
Some things, cooked mostly, I feel like I can eat and eat. I do crave
starchy sweet stuff, and read somewhere that it means there's an
imbalance somewhere.  I would have to agree because sometimes I get such
an urge for nutritional yeast mixed with water and poured over veggies.
When that happnes, I feel like I am eating the yeast and the veggies are
just a vehicle for that to happen.

Have a good Sunday.

Oh, Kirt.  I saw Big Night and thought of you.  I remember you mentioning
that you liked Italian food.  If that is the case and my memory is
functioning OK, see the movie.   There is also a very good message about
selling out vs. sticking to you guns.  A common these I would imagine
people here run into.

Now I really mean it, Bye.
Meredith