RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:10:21 -0500
Hi Ellie!

> << Are natural toxins actually destroyed by cooking? Is it possible
> they are changed to some form that is still toxic, but tastes good?  >>

Some toxins which exist in the raw food are thought to be there to protect
the plant from predators (us and others) by inhibiting the activity of the
enzymes in our guts that would digest the plant; and that cooking the plant
destroys the toxic compound. This would explain why the food tastes better
cooked.  Some argue that the existence of the compund in the raw form is
"proof" that we shouldn't be eating this plant at all. (I don't agree).

As far as Haagen-Das - How does it taste when cooked? Better or worse?  :))

Warmly,  Liza