RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loren Lockman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:20:04 EDT
Dear Steve,

You're welcome.  It might interest you to know that every food
contains the
enzymes to break itself down.  This is one major reason that a Raw
diet is
so beneficial.

Rather than having to do the work to produce all of the enzymes to
digest
your food yourself, you benefit from the action of the enzymes in the
food.
Because enzymes are extremely heat sensitive, heating anything even a
little
will destroy the enzymes.

The exact temperature is often debated, and it may vary slightly by
type of
food/enzymes, but at around 118 degrees they start to go.

Pasteurization is around 180, and boiling is 212, so regardless of
whether
the exact temp that enzymes die is 118 or 121, they're toast.

You might also be interested in a phenomenon called digestive
leukocytosis.
Leukocytosis is the body marshaling the white blood cells to your
defense in
the case of injury.  Any time you injure yourself, the body sends an
army of
white blood cells to the sight of the injury to clean up and protect
the
area.  When you eat cooked food, the body sends white blood cells to
the
digestive tract.  When you consume only raw food, there is no
leukocytosis.
Scientists have long claimed that digestive leukocytosis is "normal"
and the
only time that the body marshals the white blood cells when there is
no
injury, i.e., that this is an exception.

Real laws have no exceptions.  Gravity always works in our atmosphere,
not
just usually.

It seems much more likely and logical to me that there are no
exceptions to
leukocytosis either.  It always happens when the body is injured, and
doesn't, happen at any other time.

Leukocytosis is another energy-expensive process.  It requires a lot
of
energy to produce white blood cells and gather them up from all over
the
body.  Forgetting about the fact that there must be harm being done
for it
to even happen, using precious energy is such a needless, wasteful way
can
obviously not have good consequences, long term.

There are fascinating things happening in our bodies, and many
scientists
still do not understand many of them.  In fact, science, like every
other
field of endeavor, follows the classic bell curve, where a small
percentage
of the population is behind everyone else, and the vast majority of
the
population is in the middle, all agreeing with each other about things
that
may be, and often are, outdated concepts, and a small minority is out
front,
on the leading edge understanding things that most others do not.

As we continue on our individual journeys, let us not be bogged down
with
what "most people," or scientists, believe, or "know."  Most of any
crowd is
always behind the cutting edge, doomed to live on yesterday's news,
and
afraid to believe what the rest of the crowd, even the highly educated
crowd, does not believe.  Fear of looking foolish?  Who knows.

One thing is certain.  Whatever position you want to take on an issue,
you
are sure to be able to find an "expert" who will back you up.
Ultimately,
we must all come to our own conclusions about everything.

Not everything is worth spending the time thinking about.  But matters
that
affect your health are.  Do not so quickly dismiss ideas that
"experts" say
are wrong, or "not possible."  Nothing is as powerful as experience.
Get
your own.  Find out for yourself.  And think logically, but outside of
the
box.

Namaste,

Loren